My PC used to be LIGHTNING Fast Now its slow

KadeyGlticher

Reputable
Jun 18, 2015
Hello, So i have my PC, Optiplex 9020 with i7 4790K with 4gb ram, My pc used to be factory windows 7, So i had to update my windows as i was recommended to do so if i want to game, so i had to buy a new GPU, GTX 750TI 2gb and i also upgraded to 8gb ram. Anyhow. before applying the graphics card, i installed windows 10, then back to 7, then back to 10, and now im on 8.1, I noticed my pc is stuttering, taking long time to do stuff and im really worried about this. is there anything that could have gone wrong doing this? Thanks

Solution
I think your hdd is too defragmented. Benchmark your read/write speeds using a software (e.g. CrystalMark) while also monitoring cpu and ram usage. What is your ram configuration? They are the same model? Have you bough a 2x4gb kit or just added a 4gb stick. Test the pc with only one stick of ram (test each to see if that solves the issue). You could also have a bad ram module. Also, you can try reverting to factory settings or doing a clean install. P.S. I also highly recommend you to get a ssd (e.g Samsung 850 Evo).

lodders

Admirable
If I were you, I would re-install your factory Windows 7 from scratch.
If I had £60 spare, and didn't want to risk losing all the stuff on my hard disk I would get a Samsung Evo SSD, then install factory Windows 7 on that instead.
Once I got the computer working properly with Windows 7, I might then upgrade to Windows 10 or 8.1, but I wouldn't do it more than once.
If i had a bit more money and I was running 64 Bit Windows, I would increase the memory to 8Gb
Good luck

I think your hdd is too defragmented. Benchmark your read/write speeds using a software (e.g. CrystalMark) while also monitoring cpu and ram usage. What is your ram configuration? They are the same model? Have you bough a 2x4gb kit or just added a 4gb stick. Test the pc with only one stick of ram (test each to see if that solves the issue). You could also have a bad ram module. Also, you can try reverting to factory settings or doing a clean install. P.S. I also highly recommend you to get a ssd (e.g Samsung 850 Evo).

Solution
did you just downgrade back to windows 7 or did you just do a clean install when going back? all the upgrading and downgrading may have bogged down your system. so i too would suggest just going back to factory settings. also if you don't want to worry about slowdowns in the future i highly recommend getting an SSD if/when you can

KadeyGlticher

Reputable
Jun 18, 2015

most definetley getting a SSD, and how do i obtain the factory windows 7? Thanks

KadeyGlticher

Reputable
Jun 18, 2015

yeah i think all the downgrading have caused my pc to slow down. i really want it the old way it was. im trying all of the suggestions atm hopefully i figure out a solution

KadeyGlticher

Reputable
Jun 18, 2015

i just looked up on how to defragment and my pc, took like 10 mins and its literally back to normal! wow!, Thanks alot man!!

Your welcome! I'm glad I could help.