May 28, 2020
Last night when I was just on my computer in Google chrome my pc crashed. After I turned it back on, it did it again no more than 5 minutes later. I leave it and the next day when I go to turn it on it's just dead. When I press the power button, all the fans spin and the rgb on my ram turns on, but nothing else happens. None of my monitors even turn on, the rgb in my keyboard, headset, And mouse do not come on, and that's it. I have an MSI x470 Gaming Plus MAX motherboard, and the led for CPU is red, but it's been like that ever since I built this pc about a month ago. Again, the CPU red led has always glowed, even when the PC was fully functional.

What I have:
MOB: MSI X470 Gaming+ MAX
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X
GPU: MSI GTX 1060 3gb
RAM: 2x8gb DDR4 G.Skill 3200
PSU: Thermaltake 430W 80+
MEM: Inland 1tb M.2 PCIE SSD

I've tried making sure all cords are in properly and are secure, everything is installed correctly. I've tried taking out the ram and trying it in different spots. The monitors work fine when plugged in other devices, the keyboard mouse and headset too. When I plug my phone into the USBs it still charges so I know there's power. I everything in this setup except the GPU and PSU is only a month old. Everything was working great until last night. My best guess is the PSU went bad, but I don't have any spares so I wanted to check hete for opinions before I buy one. If I do buy one it'll definitely be higher wattage and better rating. My other guess is the motherboard, which again, I wanted to check here first before I go and get another one. And before anyone else suggests it, I did not buy warranty cause I'm a cheap loser and the in-store return policy already ran out, barely.

Please help

May 28, 2020
Sounds like a dead motherboard or CPU.

But that's a pretty crappy PSU too. So you might as well start there.
I planned to buy another and better power supply anyways, And the board is cheap so I expected it to die eventually, not this soon tho. Be a real shame if it's the cpu. I'm gonna get a new power supply either today or tomorrow and update from there.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
It's actually a rather decent mobo, Msi in the X470 /B450 are usually ranked #1 for the mid range boards for AMD.

It's been reported with some success that with pc off, pull all the ram out. Boot, it'll beep (if speaker is present), wait a minute, shutdown. Then use a jumper or flat-head screwdriver to clear the cmos, hold it on the pins for 5-10 seconds. Install 1 stick of ram in A2. Boot. If it goes to bios, save and shutdown then install the other stick in B2.

Should boot up with no errors. Cpu led is hard because it can be anything to do with the cpu. Memory controller, pch, super i/o, USB, Sata, pcie etc.

If it boots up, I'd flash the bios with the latest compatible bios (doesn't necessarily mean the latest, many times you need other bios updates first)

Reactions: VeryToxic
May 28, 2020
It's actually a rather decent mobo, Msi in the X470 /B450 are usually ranked #1 for the mid range boards for AMD.

It's been reported with some success that with pc off, pull all the ram out. Boot, it'll beep (if speaker is present), wait a minute, shutdown. Then use a jumper or flat-head screwdriver to clear the cmos, hold it on the pins for 5-10 seconds. Install 1 stick of ram in A2. Boot. If it goes to bios, save and shutdown then install the other stick in B2.

Should boot up with no errors. Cpu led is hard because it can be anything to do with the cpu. Memory controller, pch, super i/o, USB, Sata, pcie etc.

If it boots up, I'd flash the bios with the latest compatible bios (doesn't necessarily mean the latest, many times you need other bios updates first)
I took the ram out and powered it on with my speakers plugged in and all the way up, but no beep. Still, I cleared the cmos and and put 1 ram back in a2. When I turned it on, the monitor did actually flash on for just a second but only to tell me its going into sleep mode. Trying to turn it on now does not flash the monitor like it did that once. Same problem as before.

May 28, 2020
Update: I tried the same power supply in an older pc of mine and it works fine, so I'm still gonna upgrade the psu but I don't think that's what's causing the problem.

May 28, 2020
Another update: Went and got a lot of new things yesterday. Got a 650w 80plus gold psu, Asus rog crosshair vii hero x470 mobo, and bought new ram but the exact type I had before. All that and the exact same problem happens. I'm furious. It must be the cpu I so badly hoped it would not be. Tomnorow I will buy a new.

May 28, 2020
Replaced the cpu and everything is fine now. The error that popped up from the new mobo before I changed it was 07 (ram error), and the cpu light lit up on the last mobo, so my best guess was it was a faulty memory controller. Problem fixed now, thabkyou everyone for your support.