[SOLVED] My PC will not turn on & I've tried basically everything.

Dec 6, 2019
The issue at hand is I can't turn my computer on & idk what to do.

Specs:
-Asus Z97 Motherboard
-intel i7 4790k
-16gb RAM
-256 gb SSD
-1 tb HD
-Nvidia GTX 1080
-850w EVGA Power Supply (80+ Gold)
-Windows 10
-Metal white cas (dunno the actual brand/model of chassis)

A while ago, I moved my PC a bit & tried jostling a usb into a faulty port near the power button. I thought I accidentally hit the power button, but now the PC won't turn on. I see green LED lights on my motherboard & it and the graphics card have tiny LED lights on (for the motherboard, not all the lights are on). I tested the power supply & even bought a spare. Both are fully functional and working and everything else on the PC (the fans, interior lights & such). So, it's not a PSU issue & given the tiny LED lights, I find it hard to believe it's a motherboard issue. I took out & reinserted my RAM, my graphics card, the wires connected to the motherboard and PSU, especially the PWR_SW cable in the motherboard; nothing. I looked up that thread of 31 steps to do when you're computer's stuck off, didn't help. PC can't turn on so I can't POST it either. Also replaced the CMOS battery and still nothing.

Outside of the PSU test, the motherboard, fans, PSU: nothing turns on & it's driving me mad.

Last edited:
Solution
I tried shorting it with the screwdriver & it didn't work.

I theorized the usb shorted something but it doesn't look damaged. At this point, I presume I killed the motherboard.

Maybe, possibly. When you get time, id look at bread boarding the system. Remove the motherboard onto a wooden board or something non-conductive and see if you get anywhere. Just in case something dislodged or moved under the motherboard.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
"I moved my PC a bit & tried jostling a usb into a faulty port near the power button"

What do you mean moved pc a bit? Was it relocated or was it moved slightly?

Have you tried disconnecting the front panel usb header from the motherboard?

Check heatsink fan wire is properly connected to cpu_fan header on the motherboard.

Dec 6, 2019
"I moved my PC a bit & tried jostling a usb into a faulty port near the power button"

What do you mean moved pc a bit? Was it relocated or was it moved slightly?

Have you tried disconnecting the front panel usb header from the motherboard?

Check heatsink fan wire is properly connected to cpu_fan header on the motherboard.

Moved slightly. & I did try disconnecting the front panel usb header. & the fan wires are all properly connected.

Dec 6, 2019
Try short the pwr_sw with a screw driver to check it isn't the case power button.

Check around the usb header for any signs of damage. Possibly whatever was done with the faulty usb port may have shorted something.

I theorized the usb shorted something but it doesn't look damaged. At this point, I presume I killed the motherboard.

boju

Titan
Ambassador

Maybe, possibly. When you get time, id look at bread boarding the system. Remove the motherboard onto a wooden board or something non-conductive and see if you get anywhere. Just in case something dislodged or moved under the motherboard.

Solution