[SOLVED] My PC will only boot to the BIOS?

May 7, 2020
Just took my old HDDs out and put a fresh new SSD in but now the PC will only boot to the bios and I have no idea what to do. How do I install Windows?

Specs:
Mobo: Asus x Maximus Hero
Cpu: Intel i7 8700k
Gpu: Zotac 1070Ti
Ram: 16gb ddr4 3200mhz corsair
Psu: Evga 850 g2
Ssd: Samsung 970 evo plus

Solution
Need to create an bootable USB install using Windows Media Creation Tool and then boot from it to install Windows. Can create and ready the USB stick on another PC if need to. This is why system is booting to bios, it is wanting you to direct it and boot from an install media.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Need to create an bootable USB install using Windows Media Creation Tool and then boot from it to install Windows. Can create and ready the USB stick on another PC if need to. This is why system is booting to bios, it is wanting you to direct it and boot from an install media.

Last edited:
Reactions: Claken
Solution
May 7, 2020
Need to create an bootable USB install using Windows Media Creation Tool and then boot from it to install Windows. Can create and ready the USB stick on another PC if need to. This is why system is booting to bios, it is wanting you to direct it to the install media.

I thought the motherboard kept a record or copy of Windows something like that as it was installed before already?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
No, nothing is stored on the motherboard, there's no storage space for that. When it comes to activation though then Microsoft will ID the motherboard and activate online. This is the only time the motherboard is involved. The actual software you need to download using Media Creation Tool. In the Tool setup, choose USB stick if you don't have a dvd drive.

May 7, 2020
No, nothing is stored on the motherboard, there's no storage space for that. When it comes to activation though then Microsoft will ID the motherboard and activate online. This is the only time the motherboard is involved. The actual software you need to download using Media Creation Tool. In the Tool setup, choose USB stick if you don't have a dvd drive.
Ah okay the motherboard is used for the activation only. I have an old Asus tablet with a USB port, will that work at all? Or a ps4 Pro?

May 7, 2020
Can I just put my hdd back into my pc quickly to make a bootable windows without h
Not sure about ps4 but the tablet might be able to.

If not, put your drives back if it's still got an OS on it.
Had a look around and don't believe ps4 can do it.

Is it okay to put the old hdd back in without taking the new ssd out? I'm not sure how clean the HDD is. For all I know it could have a virus but I don't believe so. Nothing super major anyway I hope.

Will the ssd stay empty/fresh?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Can reconnect the drives but Win10 might not boot from another sata port or also depends where the boot loader file is. Sometimes Windows 10 can put this file on other drives if connected at the time of installation. Might need to put all drives back to how it was before.

When finally at the point of installing Windows only have the ssd connected.

May 7, 2020
Can reconnect the drives but Win10 might not boot from another sata port or also depends where the boot loader file is. Sometimes Windows 10 can put this file on other drives if connected at the time of installation. Might need to put all drives back to how it was before.

When finally at the point of installing Windows only have the ssd connected.
Put my old primary hdd in a disabled the ssd in the bios boot load order. On the pc now gonna download a Windows install onto a USB. After than I should be good to go?

May 7, 2020
Put my old primary hdd in a disabled the ssd in the bios boot load order. On the pc now gonna download a Windows install onto a USB. After than I should be good to go?
It seems to be all good now. Windows has installed to my SSD. Damm this thing is quick... thank you so much for your time and help!