Question My pc will shutdown during gameplay, can’t figure out why.

Jun 15, 2019
Hey everyone so I recently built Built my first pc about a month ago, current specs are
Ryzen 5 2600x
Asus rog strix 450
Vengeance 2 8gb sticks
1060 6gb gpu
Corsair Hzi100 liquid cooler
Corsair Cx750 power supply
Everything is new in this build minus my psu and the shut down only happens when I’m playing pubg. Never happens during my long gameplay of WOW but an hour or two of pubg my entire system will shut down minus the RGB on my motherboard. I have no idea what is going on and when I check event viewer it’s says a kernel event ID 41 error has occurred. Any idea on what I should do ? Possibly a new power supply since this one is pushing 3 years of age.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums my friend!

check event viewer it’s says a kernel event ID 41 error has occurred
Firstly don't worry about error 41, this is a generic power loss error. You would get the same error if you simply pressed the case reset button. It is not indicative of what the problem is, just that the problem is causing a shut down (which you already know by the fact that your screen goes blank!).

Have you monitored temperatures of your individual CPU cores and GPU under load?
Do you have latest BIOS installed?
Are your 2 RAM modules from the same pack?
Has this problem always occured or only recently?

It could well be PSU, the CX are decent enough, but we can work up to the PSU. Simplest way to tell would be to swap it for a good quality known working unit and retesting.
You could always monitor PSU voltages with HWInfo under load just to see if there is anything obviously abnormal.

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
I have an ROG Strix B450-F Gaming MB and I STRONGLY recommend that you do NOT update the BIOS to any past version 1201 (with AGESA 1.0.0.6). The newer versions (with AGESA 0.0.7.0) are for Ryzen 3000 series CPU compatibility and cause various cold boot and RAM issues with Ryzen 2000 series CPU's.

Otherwise I agree with P C Tailor, check Temps and power usage or swap in a known good PSU.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2019
What would be considered a good known psu? I was gonnna go to best buy and rebuy the same one and see if that worked. The temps are in 30-40c and my gpu runs at 50-60c gpu isn’t over clocked either.

ShadowLinkX37

Reputable
Jun 14, 2019
Had the exact same problem with my CX750M a week ago. I RMA'd the PSU to corsair and got a new one. If you have a voltage meter look up how to test the voltage of the PSU and test the voltage output of the PSU. If it's sub ~12 volts then your PSU is undervolting the PC, which causes the shutdown. Does your PC reboot automatically when it shuts down?

Jun 15, 2019
No it’s doesnt reboot after just stays shut off and the only thing on is the rgb from my motherboard, not the liquid cooler or fans. I have to do a switch on and off on the power supply to regain power in the whole system. This problem only occurred once I rebuild my pc. The old rig was a fossil that barely ran at 60-70fps and with this new one I hit 150+ on high settings but I get that problem with the shut downs.

ShadowLinkX37

Reputable
Jun 14, 2019
Unsure what other options there'd be for voltage, but I'm not as knowledgeable about voltage in the BIOS. However, when your PC goes underload from playing games, voltage is converted to amperes. A good PSU will be able to maintain the 12V and thus allow you to play your game. A faulting PSU would begin to undervolt as the ampere draw increases because the PSU cannot keep up with draw. When the volts gets too low, safety measures in the PSU shutdown the PC.

So my recommendation is, play your game and get it to crash as you have been, but get a program that can monitor your PSU voltage and see the results as the crash occurs.

Jun 15, 2019
Unsure what other options there'd be for voltage, but I'm not as knowledgeable about voltage in the BIOS. However, when your PC goes underload from playing games, voltage is converted to amperes. A good PSU will be able to maintain the 12V and thus allow you to play your game. A faulting PSU would begin to undervolt as the ampere draw increases because the PSU cannot keep up with draw. When the volts gets too low, safety measures in the PSU shutdown the PC.

So my recommendation is, play your game and get it to crash as you have been, but get a program that can monitor your PSU voltage and see the results as the crash occurs.
Okay sounds good, I’ll try finding a program for that see if it helps out at all

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Idk if I mentioned by the power supply fan doesn’t spin what’s so ever
Certain that it doesn't spin at all no matter what load you put it under? If this is the case, replace the PSU regardless, as the CX series does have a dynamic fan control, but not hybrid to the point where it is still at idle I don't believe - it should always be spinning in some way, just quietly. And this could very well be indicative of the problem you ahve as random restarts and shut downs are often indicative of power supply problems (it can be many things, but it quite commonly is PSU related).

Easiest way to check is simply get a new good quality unit, replace it and see if the issue persists.

Just in case though I would still refer back to my original queries as well:
Have you monitored temperatures of your individual CPU cores and GPU under load?
Do you have latest BIOS installed?
Are your 2 RAM modules from the same pack?
Has this problem always occured or only recently?

ShadowLinkX37

Reputable
Jun 14, 2019
I agree with tailor. Whether or not the PSU is undervolting and therefore isn't spinning the fan, or the system is overheating because of the lack of cooling of the PSU, replace the PSU. Corsair has pretty good warranty lengths (5 years on mine) so should get in touch with corsair.

Reactions: DMAN999