[SOLVED] My pc won’t boot and I’m not sure what’s the problem is at all

Jordanicus

Prominent
Aug 4, 2020
Hi! So I have one stick of 8gb ram and I wanted to upgrade to 16gb. When I put in the 16gb my pc stopped booting. So I figured I should test out the old ram back in and when I did my pc wouldn’t boot still. When I put in my ram I made sure to push in hard until I heard the click so I’m pretty sure I put it in correctly and I put them in slots 2 and 4. I had to take my cmos out 7 times until my pc finally started working again. It took me about 40 minutes to get my pc running again so I’m a bit scared of trying to mess with it so I was wondering if anyone would know the problem. Also now my monitor will stay black when I try to enter bios but I think the problem may be the resolution. Any advice or suggestions would be helpful thanks!

My specs are MB: msi bazooka m350 RAM: old 1x8gb geil potanza new: Corsair vengeance 3000mhz 3.2Ghz GPU: RX 580 4gb armor

Solution
CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 this is the ram I have. Would you happen to know why the pc is failing to boot when I use the new ram and struggle to boot my pc once I put in my old ram?
That could be due to some settings in the Bios.
proceed as i said in my last post just above
that is
  1. switch off your PC and disconnect completely from the wall
  2. take out the Geil
  3. take out the battery. Wait at least 10 - 15 minutes
  4. put in your corsair kit
  5. reconnect electricity, and try to boot
Hi! So I have one stick of 8gb ram and I wanted to upgrade to 16gb. When I put in the 16gb my pc stopped booting. So I figured I should test out the old ram back in and when I did my pc wouldn’t boot still. When I put in my ram I made sure to push in hard until I heard the click so I’m pretty sure I put it in correctly and I put them in slots 2 and 4. I had to take my cmos out 7 times until my pc finally started working again. It took me about 40 minutes to get my pc running again so I’m a bit scared of trying to mess with it so I was wondering if anyone would know the problem. Also now my monitor will stay black when I try to enter bios but I think the problem may be the resolution. Any advice or suggestions would be helpful thanks!

My specs are MB: msi bazooka m350 RAM: old 1x8gb geil potanza new: Corsair vengeance 3000mhz 3.2Ghz GPU: RX 580 4gb armor
What CPU ?
Exact reference numbers of your RAM ?
What do you mean by 16 GB, have you add a 8 GB corsair, or purchased 16 gb of Corsair (1 or 2 sticks ) ?
Anyway, mixing different brands and speed if DDR4 is unlikely to work together
Are they on the QVL ?
If you have 16 GB of Corsair, have you tried without the Geil ?

Jordanicus

Prominent
Aug 4, 2020
What CPU ?
Exact reference numbers of your RAM ?
What do you mean by 16 GB, have you add a 8 GB corsair, ir purchased 16 gb of Corsair (1 or 2 sticks ) ?
Anyway, mixing different brands and speed if DDR4 is unlikely to work together
Are they on the QVL ?
I have the r5 3600. And I’m not sure what you mean by the reference numbers of my ram. And I currently have 1 stick of 8gb ram in my pc and I tried replacing it with the Corsair ram 2x8 and I’m not Sure what QVL means. Thanks for the help!

I have the r5 3600. And I’m not sure what you mean by the reference numbers of my ram. And I currently have 1 stick of 8gb ram in my pc and I tried replacing it with the Corsair ram 2x8 and I’m not Sure what QVL means. Thanks for the help!
The QVL is the Qualified Vendor List. For your mobo it is here
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B350M-BAZOOKA#support-mem-19
Click on compatibility on the left, and than choose you CPU (click on Memory by RX-3X0
This is the list of RAM that has been tested by MSI for your motherboard / CPU combination.
That will not mean anything else will not work, only that thses have benn tested and work.
The reference number looks something like CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 . this is the real reference for a RAM stick or kit, (others are just commercial names).
You should find the reference number on the packaging

When you tried the first time the Corsair kit, you probably did not do a clear CMOS (take out the battery ) after taking out the Geil.
At this point, what I would do is:
  2. take out the Geil

Last edited:

Jordanicus

Prominent
Aug 4, 2020
The QVL is the Qualified Vendor List. For your mobo it is here
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B350M-BAZOOKA#support-mem-19
Click on compatibility on the left, and than choose you CPU (click on Memory by RX-3X0
This is the list of RAM that has been tested by MSI for your motherboard / CPU combination.
That will not mean anything else will not work, only that thses have benn tested and work.
The reference number looks something like CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 . this is the real reference for a RAM stick or kit, (others are just commercial names).
You should find the reference number on the packaging
CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 this is the ram I have. Would you happen to know why the pc is failing to boot when I use the new ram and struggle to boot my pc once I put in my old ram?

That could be due to some settings in the Bios.
proceed as i said in my last post just above
that is
  2. take out the Geil

Solution

Jordanicus

Prominent
Aug 4, 2020
When you tried the first time the Corsair kit, you probably did not do a clear CMOS (take out the battery ) after taking out the Geil.
At this point, what I would do is:
  2. take out the Geil
Oh okay thanks! And was I suppose to take out the cmos battery when I switched out my ram? I was told that I just had to switch the ram out and I would be good to go which was not the case lol.