My PC wont boot (and another problems) when i plug in additional HDD

Tauno M

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2013
Hi

First i would like to mention that i have 2 SSD's (one for Windows and apps and another for games) and 2 HDD's (1TB for main stuff and 500GB backup drive).

Funny thing. I took a 1TB hard drive from another PC and plugged it into mine. It booted up well. Wanted to resize some of the partitions on it but the Disk manager froze. I wanted to backup files from new drive to my old one but the copying sat at 0%. Also, when i deleted something from my old drives it did it well (the file went to trash) but the delete dialog always got stuck (dialog did not froze) at 99%. That happened on every delete i did on my old drives. And some time after that my PC froze and i forced shut down. I unplugged new drive and booted up. Windows 10 did not boot and started repairing my C drive (SSD). It also suggested windows repair of some sort. When everything was done i booted up PC and Eset Smart Security repoerted that it did not work well. I restarted and everything was fine.

Today i tried again. Thought that maybe the cables were the problem and there was bad connection or something. I checked all cables and they were all in their place as they supposed to be. Plugged in the new drive and my Windows did not boot. The circle just kept circling... I forced shut down, unplugged the new drive and turned on my PC. Everythig works fine.

The drive worked well on another PC so it cant be the drives fault. What could be the problem? Maybe i run too many drives on one cable or something? The weird thing was that it affected my SSD. CrystalDiskInfo showed that my SSD is in good shape.

Anybody can help me? I really need more space for my stuff :)

My motherboard is
MSI H87-G41 PC Mate

PSU is
Fortron FSP ATX 2.3 88+ 700W OEM FSP700-50ARN 88+

New HDD
Seagate ST1000DM003

Solution
Hi there, Tauno.

I'd suggest that you check the drive's you have (without the new drive being connected to the motherboard) by downloading and HDD/SSD diagnostic tool and running the tests, just to make sure that everything's OK with them.
If they all pass the tests, your next step should be, to do the same with the new drive as well. It's not unusual for a faulty drive to be causing issues like this with the whole system, even if it's not the OS drive. If you have important data on it, you could try backing it up via Ubuntu Live USB/DVD, to see if you'd be able to do that without having the same issues as before.

Hope that helps. Please let me know how it goes.
Boogieman_WD
Hi there, Tauno.

I'd suggest that you check the drive's you have (without the new drive being connected to the motherboard) by downloading and HDD/SSD diagnostic tool and running the tests, just to make sure that everything's OK with them.
If they all pass the tests, your next step should be, to do the same with the new drive as well. It's not unusual for a faulty drive to be causing issues like this with the whole system, even if it's not the OS drive. If you have important data on it, you could try backing it up via Ubuntu Live USB/DVD, to see if you'd be able to do that without having the same issues as before.

Hope that helps. Please let me know how it goes.
Boogieman_WD

Solution

TRENDING THREADS