My pc wont boot my sata (vista installed)

eonaxes

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2009
mobo: foxconn a79a-s
hard drive: samsung 750Gig F1
I just built this PC and reusing my hard drive with vista already installed.
It shows up in the BIOS but doesnt show up as a boot option. If I run vista repair disc, it doesnt show up as an option, but I can access the drive when searching for drivers.
But here is where its wierd: when I hook up this IDE drive with XP installed, I get the windows boot manager where I can select and boot my Sata drive perfectly! But I then tried a different ide drive with xp installed and this didnt work.
I have updated my bios and played with many settings in the bios with no help.
Any ideas?
Thanks

But here is where its wierd: when I hook up this IDE drive with XP installed, I get the windows boot manager where I can select and boot my Sata drive perfectly!
This isn't weird. That IDE disk was installed in the PC when you installed Vista. The windows boot manager is on the IDE disk, not on the Samsung disk.

But I then tried a different ide drive with xp installed and this didnt work.
That disk wasn't installed in your system when you installed Vista, therefore a boot entry for Vista doesn't exist.

You'll have to repair your Vista installation to make it bootable. Read http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/EBCD/Recovering+the+Vista+Bootloader+from+the+DVD.

I don't know why clicking the link doesn't work. Paste "neosmart.net/wiki/display/EBCD/Recovering+the+Vista+Bootloader+from+the+DVD" in your browser and it should work. If it doesn't, then from the page not found:

Click EasyBCD
Click "Repairing the Windows Vista Bootloader" (4th line from the bottom of the page)
Click "Recovering the Vista Bootloader from the DVD"

The OP has no problem loading Vista as long as the original IDE disk is installed (it's the one that contains the bootloader). He wrote "when I hook up this IDE drive with XP installed, I get the windows boot manager where I can select and boot my Sata drive perfectly!"

He has to add/fix the Vista bootloader on his Samsung F1 SATA disk to resolve his issue (or reinstall if that doesn't work).

You are right . Mis-read the first post , and didnt get that Vista would boot at all

eonaxes

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2009
thanks I figured out how to browse the link shortly after posting
using the ebcd utility did the trick
thanks again!