My pc wont find my second Hard Drive

loafman

Honorable
Dec 23, 2013
I plugged in a second 500Gb Hard Drive into my second Sata plugin on my Motherboard, but when I start up windows 7, I cant find the hard disc drive. I have also looked in Disc management.
The second hard drive is empty, with no OS on it. Any help would be appreciated.

Solution

it means it's detecting hardware there... but it's not reading what it is. that means you have a bad sata cable or a bad hard drive. try another cable and see if it will detect it properly. if it won't then i'd return the hard drive as defective.
first, check in the bios to make sure it's being detected there. if it is, then check the type of connection... if the main drive is in IDE mode the 2nd drive should be in IDE as well (generally windows won't detect AHCI mode unless windows is installed when the main drive is in AHCI mode)... if the drive isn't in the bios, then it's either dead or not plugged in right. make sure the power cord and sata cables are plugged in correctly, try another SATA cable if you have to.

once its detected in the bios it will be a simple procedure to get windows to recognize it.

go into disk management, click on the unassigned drive, format it, you're done. Windows will automatically assign a drive letter once it's formatted.

loafman

Honorable
Dec 23, 2013

My bios shows this,

SATA6G_1 WDC WD5OOOAAKX (500.1GB)
SATA6G_2 ( 0.0 GB)
SATA6G_3 not present
SATA6G_4 not present
ect. ( besides disc drive)

My disc management still only shows my first 500Gb and my disc drive.

What should I do?

it means it's detecting hardware there... but it's not reading what it is. that means you have a bad sata cable or a bad hard drive. try another cable and see if it will detect it properly. if it won't then i'd return the hard drive as defective.

Solution

loafman

Honorable
Dec 23, 2013

I get the same thing with a different sata cable, its probably the hard drive,its slightly old, but its never been used.
The hard drive makes a load clicking noise for a little while when I turn the computer on, does this have any thing to do with the hard drive being bad?

Thank you for your help