Question My PC won't Power On

Feb 20, 2021
Good day everyone.

I just built my PC 2 weeks ago. Last night I was using it perfectly fine but today, as I try to use my pc it won't turn on.

I turn on the power supply button and lights on the mobo flashes red (Once only) but when I turn on the power button nothing happens. When I turn off the psu power button the motherboard flashes once again with a sky blue light.

I haven't tweaked my pc much and it was really fine last night.

Cpu: Ryzen 5 5600x
Motherboard: B550M Steel Legend
Ram: 16 GB G skills trident
Psu : Corsair RM850x
Gpu: 1050 ti

Last edited:

gn842a

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016
This is where it becomes a paying proposition to have a second computer in the household. I know it sounds like an extravagance, and I suppose it is, but after my kid moved out of the house I have been maintaining two computers. My main build gets more glitzy equipment. But in a situation like yours I would be able to switch the power supplies and the video cards and other items till at last I arrived at a diagnosis (one would hope).

If you don't have a second unit, I would start by trying to diagnose the PSU. Because you really don't want to keep trying to post if your PSU has fried on you, it could do damage down stream. There are youtube videos on how to check your PSU if you don't want to do it yourself you might want to buy a tool or take it to a shop (those shops are still around, sometimes....or Best Buy's geeks). Another thing to do is swap out data cables. They do fail (always use the cables that came with your psu for power, though, switching cables that come with the PSU might fry everything in your system).

Then move to the mobo/cpu and videocard. Somewhere you have had a catastrophic failure, it would seem to me. It might be because of something you did, or it might not. It just happens. The reliability of what's sold appears to me to be about 95% out of the box. PSU, mobo, cpu, OS drive, RAM, videocard, that's six items. The chance that all of them are working is .95^6, in other words there is one chance in four that you will get a failure. And if say the reliability is .99 you still have a 6% chance that somewhere in YOUR brand new system one of the major components isn't working.

So yeah, could be major premature component failure. Assuming something is not hooked up incorrectly.

Greg N

Feb 20, 2021
This is where it becomes a paying proposition to have a second computer in the household. I know it sounds like an extravagance, and I suppose it is, but after my kid moved out of the house I have been maintaining two computers. My main build gets more glitzy equipment. But in a situation like yours I would be able to switch the power supplies and the video cards and other items till at last I arrived at a diagnosis (one would hope).

If you don't have a second unit, I would start by trying to diagnose the PSU. Because you really don't want to keep trying to post if your PSU has fried on you, it could do damage down stream. There are youtube videos on how to check your PSU if you don't want to do it yourself you might want to buy a tool or take it to a shop (those shops are still around, sometimes....or Best Buy's geeks). Another thing to do is swap out data cables. They do fail (always use the cables that came with your psu for power, though, switching cables that come with the PSU might fry everything in your system).

Then move to the mobo/cpu and videocard. Somewhere you have had a catastrophic failure, it would seem to me. It might be because of something you did, or it might not. It just happens. The reliability of what's sold appears to me to be about 95% out of the box. PSU, mobo, cpu, OS drive, RAM, videocard, that's six items. The chance that all of them are working is .95^6, in other words there is one chance in four that you will get a failure. And if say the reliability is .99 you still have a 6% chance that somewhere in YOUR brand new system one of the major components isn't working.

So yeah, could be major premature component failure. Assuming something is not hooked up incorrectly.

Greg N

Hey, I tried reseating the rams and it booted for a bit I thought everything was okay so I had breakfast. After I was done the problem came back again an dthis time, reseating the ram didn't do anything