Question My pc won't turn on after switching video cards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 16, 2019
So yesterday we changed our gtx 760 to a gtx 1060. After the change, the pc didn't turn on anymore, so we took out the video card to check if that was the problem. It turned out that it was, cause it turned on again.

After that, we thought maybe the cable wasn't plugged in in the right place, so we changed it with the hard drive. This is the moment the computer stopped working. When I press the power button, the blue light turns on for half a second (not even every time) and nothing happens after.

So this is my bf's pc, which has a OCZ ModXStream Pro 600 W, in which 6 pins and 8 pins can go. His old video card used a 8 pin cable, but the 1060, that we took out of my pc, uses a 6 pin cable. I was wondering if this is a problem, that maybe his psu only supports a 8 pin cable for video cards? We don't know too much about computers, but this is the only thing we changed in the process.

We already checked if the psu is still working by connecting the green and black cable. We also tried taking out everything (ram, hard drive, video card, etc), but it still didn't work. Could it be we fried our motherboard?

Sadly, we don't have another pc available to check things with, since mine is at my parents' house.

The specs:
OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W
Intel Core i5-4570
Asus B85M-E

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
The 6 pin and 8 pin cable actually use the same 3x12V. power wires. The 8 pin adds 2 GRD for signalling it's there.
Those cards are 2 generations apart.
1- Make a Sytem Retsore point in Accessories/Ssytem Tools.
2- Boot into Safe Mode (F8) and remove the old GPU drivers.
3- Install new GPU. In Safe Mode + Internet download and install new drivers. Some drivers require full Windows to install. That's OK.
You can download the drivers in step 1 and have them ready if you want to.

Dec 16, 2019
The 6 pin and 8 pin cable actually use the same 3x12V. power wires. The 8 pin adds 2 GRD for signalling it's there.
Those cards are 2 generations apart.
1- Make a Sytem Retsore point in Accessories/Ssytem Tools.
2- Boot into Safe Mode (F8) and remove the old GPU drivers.
3- Install new GPU. In Safe Mode + Internet download and install new drivers. Some drivers require full Windows to install. That's OK.
You can download the drivers in step 1 and have them ready if you want to.

Thank you for your reply! The pc didn't turn on at all, so I don't think this could've been possible. We brought it to a hardware store where it's being fixed. Thanks anyway!

Status
Not open for further replies.