[SOLVED] my pc wont turn on but everything is plugged in

Aug 5, 2020
i changed my cpu on my pc but now it wont turn on. i have tried plugging in cpu power and all the power but my pc wont turn on or start fans. all the lights turn on but it doesnt turn on

Solution
Power supply if plugged into outlet always has power on +5(standby) routed on motherboard to the "power switch" and to keyboard. The standby voltage also enables the microcontroller in the Power Supply, hence if standby power circuit on motherboard is shorted then nothing works. Dumb question, you said this was cpu upgrade, so does the old cpu still work? How do you know the cables don't work?
Did you check for voltage in the sockets that don't work? When you changed cpu, did you remember to unplug the motherboard from all power (wall outlet, battery)? (Because modern power supplies still power the motherboard even when turned off.) Static electricity damage is likely working in an unshielded technicians'
workstation.
Aug 5, 2020
i got it working but now just no cables will connect. all cablee in the pc wont get power and dont do anything. i cant enter bios or anything

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2020
as the title reads my pc doesnt let my keyboard mouse headset and monitor run or get any electricity. i have tried resetting cmos, unplugging changing cords but nothing has helped yet.

Aug 10, 2020
Lights are aesthetic crap that doesn't count. Keyboard and often mouse are powered by "USB Standby voltage" not regular USB. Standby also powers the on-off switch. Have you checked PSU voltages? USB and HDMI power is usually fused or current limited and those chips would need to be turned on by bios. You mention fans but the hard drive probable does not spin up.

Aug 10, 2020
Power supply if plugged into outlet always has power on +5(standby) routed on motherboard to the "power switch" and to keyboard. The standby voltage also enables the microcontroller in the Power Supply, hence if standby power circuit on motherboard is shorted then nothing works. Dumb question, you said this was cpu upgrade, so does the old cpu still work? How do you know the cables don't work?
Did you check for voltage in the sockets that don't work? When you changed cpu, did you remember to unplug the motherboard from all power (wall outlet, battery)? (Because modern power supplies still power the motherboard even when turned off.) Static electricity damage is likely working in an unshielded technicians'
workstation.

Solution