Question My PC won't turn on unless I remove all the cables and put them back in psu

cdoge88

Commendable
Sep 8, 2018
Whenever I try to turn on my pc normally from a state of being completely off, the psu clicks and the lights flash as it tries to turn on but just flashes the lights on the mobo. However, whenever I remove all of the cables coming from the system to the psu and plug them back, and go to turn it on, it works fine. Also my system is an i5-8600k, gtx 1060 6gb, 16gb of ddr4 ram, and a cooler master 750w gold psu. Oddly enough, my system refuses to even turn with the other working psu I have, which is a 1200w cooler master platinum. Why is this happening?

cdoge88

Commendable
Sep 8, 2018
Sounds like a protection that at least works on both psu's. Does it work when trying by breadboarding?
That means you unplug certain things and try to turn it on, right? Also, I've isolated the issue to be with the Motherboard as if I only remove those connectors and put them back in, it works fine, but if I removed any other ones, It didn't work. SO it must be an issue with either the motherboard itself or the mother board connection on the psu. Its an msi gaming plus z-370 btw.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Since you are able to get it running means you can get into the bios as well i assume, ask this since there is a pretty recent bios and you never know if it wil help so might want to flash that one.

7B61v19 Release Date 2020-01-09

And no it's not just unplugging things. It's about taking the motherboard out of the case ,put it on a non conductive underground and only starting to test with cpu+one stick of ram,see if that boots into the bios,then add other stick of ram,then connect hdd/ssd then dedicated gpu (unless you need it,but your cpu has an integrated gpu).

See if at one point you get the problem maker or that it already is problematic with the first few parts.

not been funny but are you missing something obvious , this is my mobo.

Board: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. STRIX X99 GAMING Rev 1.xx
Serial Number: 160572517000138
Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
UEFI: American Megatrends Inc. 1902 03/21/2018

my pc recently part booted , by that I mean it would not go past secondary screens and onto the desktop.
It turned out that the culprit was a side fan connector that had moved just enough for the mobo not been able to detect it. A secondary screen said unknow device not detected please check all connectors.
As this is my first custom built rig I don't know if this extra screen was part of the mobo system check or something put in by the builder.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
not been funny but are you missing something obvious , this is my mobo.

Board: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. STRIX X99 GAMING Rev 1.xx
Serial Number: 160572517000138
Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
UEFI: American Megatrends Inc. 1902 03/21/2018

my pc recently part booted , by that I mean it would not go past secondary screens and onto the desktop.
It turned out that the culprit was a side fan connector that had moved just enough for the mobo not been able to detect it. A secondary screen said unknow device not detected please check all connectors.
As this is my first custom built rig I don't know if this extra screen was part of the mobo system check or something put in by the builder.
This is not your thread so why are you here? If you want to tell that he should look at parts connected do so,but your motherboard has nothing to do with this thread.

you are right this is not my thread but as a user of this forum I am allowed and entitled to contribute to it.
I included my board spec in case somebody asked me what mobo I am using when I saw the not connected message.

If you have a problem with what I have done , report it to the moderators.

cdoge88

Commendable
Sep 8, 2018
Since you are able to get it running means you can get into the bios as well i assume, ask this since there is a pretty recent bios and you never know if it wil help so might want to flash that one.

And no it's not just unplugging things. It's about taking the motherboard out of the case ,put it on a non conductive underground and only starting to test with cpu+one stick of ram,see if that boots into the bios,then add other stick of ram,then connect hdd/ssd then dedicated gpu (unless you need it,but your cpu has an integrated gpu).

See if at one point you get the problem maker or that it already is problematic with the first few parts.
Ok I'll try that, and I'll edit this when I get results.

cdoge88

Commendable
Sep 8, 2018
Looking forward to it.
I haven't done the breadboarding yet, but noticed something that might point to a different solution. I noticed that whenever I turn the switch on my psu off, the internal fan is still spinning. Whenever I go to turn it on while the fan is spinning, it clicks and makes the mobo lights flash. However, when I remove the bigger mobo power connector, the fan finally stops, and when I go to turn it back on, it starts up fine.

cdoge88

Commendable
Sep 8, 2018
Meant take the motherboard as problem and rma it. If still having warranty. Anyway,might just be good to try breadboard first if rma is an option.

Don't know how to check such a signal. Some is said here,
How does an ATX power supply turn off? - Electrical Engineering Stack Exchange

The second 1200watt psu is of course a proven working unit?
Yeah, but when I go to turn the PC on with the 1200w , nothing happens at all, while the other one clicks at first and then works after I remove a cable.

cdoge88

Commendable
Sep 8, 2018
Did you already try breadboarding?
Sorry for the wait, but I've isolated the issue. It appears that the PSU fan never stops, even when I unplug it from the wall. Sounds crazy, but unplugging the entire motherboard initially fixed the issue making the fan stop and the computer boot up properly. However, I tried unplugging the only other cables that were connected to any form of power, and surprisingly enough, when I unplugged only the Displayport cable from my GPU, the fan in the PSU stopped and I was able to turn on the computer fine without touching the mobo cables. Also, its only the DisplayPort cable that gave me issues, as unplugging only the hdmi or dvi-d cables that are also in my gpu didn't stop the fan. Does this mean I have a bad DisplayPort cable or is the DisplayPort connection on my gpu at fault?