[SOLVED] My PC wont turn on when I put 3x8pin on my RTX 3080! Please HELP!!!

savior.ph

Prominent
Sep 3, 2020
My PC suddenly turned itself off while I'm only playing Android Emulator games. When I tried turning it back ON nothing happens. I tried my Old PSU not connecting the 3x8 pin GPU (Cos' it does not have 3x8pin) and the PC turned ON with everything back up and running again except the GPU.
When I saw this happened I thought its already a PSU problem, so I bought a new PSU (Seasonic Focus GX-750) and tried putting all back in together with the 3x8pin and nothing happened. It didn't turn on anything just like when it first died and then again, I tried removing the 3x8pin on my RTX 3080 and it turn on and again without the GPU it worked but no display since the card is not powered.
I'm so confused. PLEASE HELP me figure it out!
Does this mean my GPU is dead? Or my GPU is OK but my MOBO/PCIe is faulty already?
Built this PC April of 2020 didn't even reached the 2 year mark. :((

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
GPU: iGame RTX 3080 Ultimate OC
PSU: Seasonic Focus GX-750 Gold Fully Modular
MOBO: MSI B450 Mortar Max
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 3200 8x2
SSD: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB NVMe
HDD: WD Blue 1TB

Solution
Hmm...
There was one other problem with some of these gpus: the power draw directly from the PCIe slot was running out of spec.
Some users would see 80w+ being drawn from there - the max is 75w, with some old OEM mobos having less. Over time, something was bound to go wrong.
EVGA got a fair bit of attention from it - due to the volume they sell - but they probably weren't alone in the matter.
It's too late to check your current motherboard, but it could be checked with your friend's PC using hwinfo - probably isn't the best way to check, but I'm not familiar with using other equipment.

savior.ph

Prominent
Sep 3, 2020
Gpu ded, or at least part of the power delivery is, and there's nothing you can do about either, so RMA it.

What was the psu before the Focus GX-750 Gold?
Silverstone Strider Gold Series ST75F-GS 750W 80plus Gold
If my GPU is dead it will still power on right? But no display/signal?

savior.ph

Prominent
Sep 3, 2020
Silverstone Strider Gold Series ST75F-GS 750W 80plus Gold
That one's ok, so it shouldn't have done anything fatal.

Sure, but a fuse, mosfet, or some other component is blown.
So is this really the end for my GPU? It didn't even last for 2 years. Is there any part of my computer that you think is faulty?

savior.ph

Prominent
Sep 3, 2020
Thank you for all the reply. I've tested my GPU on my friend's PC and it still works fine. Now I'm confused because it only happens on my end. And the real problem occurred when I'm still using my Old Silverstone PSU which I correctly plugged all the PCIe cables and had no problems with it in almost 2 years of gaming and work. Literally my PC shut off that time with no bluescreen/warnings. And this happened when I just turned on the PC for like 15 mins.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Hmm...
There was one other problem with some of these gpus: the power draw directly from the PCIe slot was running out of spec.
Some users would see 80w+ being drawn from there - the max is 75w, with some old OEM mobos having less. Over time, something was bound to go wrong.
EVGA got a fair bit of attention from it - due to the volume they sell - but they probably weren't alone in the matter.
It's too late to check your current motherboard, but it could be checked with your friend's PC using hwinfo - probably isn't the best way to check, but I'm not familiar with using other equipment.

Solution