Question My PC won't turn on

Mar 16, 2019
I built my PC 2 weeks ago and it's been working perfect ever since, I went to turn it on today and it didn't. The motherboard lights turn on, so it's not the PSU or the motherboard. All I've tried so far is to replug some cables and switch the power switch with the restart one, please help.

Zephyl

Commendable
Mar 13, 2017
What do you mean it didn't turn on? I need some more info... do the fans spin up at all? Does anything beep, blink or display? Does the motherboard light up before or after pressing the power button?

Mar 16, 2019
What do you mean it didn't turn on? I need some more info... do the fans spin up at all? Does anything beep, blink or display? Does the motherboard light up before or after pressing the power button?
The motherboard lights turns on after switching on the power supply, before pressing the power button. After pressing the power button nothing happens, no fans spin, no beeping or anything on the display.

Zephyl

Commendable
Mar 13, 2017
The motherboard lights turns on after switching on the power supply, before pressing the power button. After pressing the power button nothing happens, no fans spin, no beeping or anything on the display.
So, this could be a problem with your power button, power supply or motherboard. The first thing I'd do is make sure the power button plug is connected to the correct pins. If you're sure it is, try manually shorting those two pins with a screwdriver or paperclip. If the PC turns on, the power button is somehow broken. If it doesn't turn on, make absolutely sure you're on the right pins. You can check this in your motherboard manual or sometimes it's printed directly on the motherboard near the pins. If they were the correct pins, try the "paperclip method" of testing PSUs. A tutorial can be found here. If it works, the problem is not your PSU. If it doesn't, the PSU is the problem and it needs to be replaced.

Mar 16, 2019
So, this could be a problem with your power button, power supply or motherboard. The first thing I'd do is make sure the power button plug is connected to the correct pins. If you're sure it is, try manually shorting those two pins with a screwdriver or paperclip. If the PC turns on, the power button is somehow broken. If it doesn't turn on, make absolutely sure you're on the right pins. You can check this in your motherboard manual or sometimes it's printed directly on the motherboard near the pins. If they were the correct pins, try the "paperclip method" of testing PSUs. A tutorial can be found here. If it works, the problem is not your PSU. If it doesn't, the PSU is the problem and it needs to be replaced.
I tried the paperclip trick with the PSU and it does work, I also tried manually shorting the power button pins but that didn't work.

Zephyl

Commendable
Mar 13, 2017
I tried the paperclip trick with the PSU and it does work, I also tried manually shorting the power button pins but that didn't work.
Uh oh. Make sure all of your cables are securely plugged into the motherboard. Reseat everything. RAM, CPU, even graphics cards, m.2, SATA cables, the works. If it still doesn't work, the motherboard must be the issue.

Mar 16, 2019
Uh oh. Make sure all of your cables are securely plugged into the motherboard. Reseat everything. RAM, CPU, even graphics cards, m.2, SATA cables, the works. If it still doesn't work, the motherboard must be the issue.
Could the motherboard still be the issue if the lights come on?

TRENDING THREADS