[SOLVED] My pc works after i take it for a drive.

Apr 9, 2020
Okay. this is a weird one, I built a PC over a month ago and its been going great, as of sunday after I go to bed and shut down my pc, in the morning my computer won't turn on, Drove it to my friends house who was gonna help me diagnose it and it worked there. On Monday it booted as per normal and I thought the problem fixed itself (he said it might be a power surge), but on Tuesday it happened again so I drove it to the tech store and they said they couldnt help with the diagnosis (covid 19). I brought it home, plugged it in and it worked again.

Yesterday it didnt boot in the morning again, so I left it for 1hr yesterday unplugged from the wall and nothing happened, i brought it to a tech guy in my area and then it booted as it usually did, I switched the power button to my reset button to see if it was my case, note that yesterday night before i went to bed I pulled the plug from my computer after it was shut down to see if it really was a power surge thing.

But today, it happened in the morning again, so I decided to take my computer, put it in the boot of my car and drive around the block and lo and behold the thing powers on

What the heck is happening.

Also a thing to note is that when it does reset the time is wrong to like a few hours before. (CMOS?)

Solution
Look in your windows power options.
There are some settings as to what to do after periods of inactivity.

If you are transporting the pc, you must, of necessity unplug it from the wall.
When you shut down a pc that is plugged into the wall, the psu is still active.
It needs to be so it can detect the power on button.
Windows can wake itself up to do maintenance even when so called power off.

You might also go over your windows privacy and maintenance options.
By default, windows can use your pc to distribute updates to others. You don't want that.
D

Deleted member 14196

i would suspect your power supply. what is the make and model of the psu and how old is it? also, what are you plugging into? the wall or a high quality surge suppressor?

from the sounds of it, you have an intermittent open somewhere, I suspect psu issues. could just be a switch, cable or connectors

read this, you can make sure your cables and connections are good.

https://www.cirris.com/learning-cen...intermittents-in-cable-and-harness-assemblies

Apr 9, 2020
i would suspect your power supply. what is the make and model of the psu and how old is it? also, what are you plugging into? the wall or a high quality surge suppressor?

from the sounds of it, you have an intermittent open somewhere, I suspect psu issues. could just be a switch

https://www.cirris.com/learning-cen...intermittents-in-cable-and-harness-assemblies
i h

from the sounds of it, you have an intermittent open somewhere, I suspect psu issues. could just be a switch

read this, you can make sure your cables and connections are good.

i have a eVGA GD series 600W 80PLUS Gold Power Supply, it was brand new when I built the computer, its powering:

Ryzen 5 3600
Kingston 250gb M.2 SSD
1TB HDD
Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2060
16GB (2 sticks) DDR4 RAM @ 2400MHZ

The PC is plugged into a power bar with a surge protector

Moving the pc will have jiggled it a bit and that might have reseated some component.
Look in particular at your psu connections. Verify that the 24 pin ane 4/8 pin eps connections are latched.
If your psu is modular, check both ends.

Instead of powering off, may I suggest you use sleep to ram(no hibernate)
Your pc and monitor will enter a very low power state, not much different from a full power off.
sleep/wake will be very much quicker.

Apr 9, 2020
Moving the pc will have jiggled it a bit and that might have reseated some component.
Look in particular at your psu connections. Verify that the 24 pin ane 4/8 pin eps connections are latched.
If your psu is modular, check both ends.

Instead of powering off, may I suggest you use sleep to ram(no hibernate)
Your pc and monitor will enter a very low power state, not much different from a full power off.
sleep/wake will be very much quicker.

Did a bit more testing today, i left it in sleep mode and after an hour it does the same thing, not being able to boot, i suspect it might be the PSU, again after a drive with the PC in the back, the thing turns on

Look in your windows power options.
There are some settings as to what to do after periods of inactivity.

If you are transporting the pc, you must, of necessity unplug it from the wall.
When you shut down a pc that is plugged into the wall, the psu is still active.
It needs to be so it can detect the power on button.
Windows can wake itself up to do maintenance even when so called power off.

You might also go over your windows privacy and maintenance options.
By default, windows can use your pc to distribute updates to others. You don't want that.

Solution