[SOLVED] MY PC

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Pedro sachez

Great
Jan 22, 2020
Hi i have a dell optiplex 7010sff i3
i put a rx 550 in the system i think in december but i see the system severely underperfoming in the only game i play (league of legends)
System specs
cpu i3 3240
gpu rx 550
psu stock dell 240w (says shall not exeed 90w)
my pc is severely underperfoming i think because of the cheap and (watch the language - mod edit) psu
i had a look inside the system i think it uses standard 24pin mobo connector and standard 4 pin cpu connector so i think any standard tfx psu should fit in my system without any issues. because all the upgrades plan to further do is upgrade my psu to a 300w tfx or 350w psu and upgrade from 8 to 16gb of ram i think one of these should fit right?
https://www.1a.lv/p/qoltec-tfx-power-supply-350w-80plus-monolith-apfc/10l6
or
https://www.1a.lv/p/inter-tech-argus-tfx-300w/7i9q?cat=2vy&index=27

Solution
Having a good quality PSU is always a very good idea. It is more than just not "having problems". A high quality power supply can help to protect the rest of your hardware from premature failure that can and does occur when using very low quality power supplies that have high levels of ripple and electrical noise. Ripple can overheat and destroy the capacitors on motherboards and graphics cards, and there are of course other potential problems that can happen from low quality units to damage or destroy your other hardware as well not least of which are simply catching on fire.
Even if i do buy the laptop i think if it starts to overheat ill buy and external cooler for it they are widespread on the online market.
And they do not work. No cooler outside the laptop can keep deeply internal CPU and GPU core temps from doing anything, up or down. They are useless except as a method to keep the surface of the laptop cool enough to not be uncomfortable for your hands.

They are about as useless as "spinners" on people's wheels on their cars. They don't do anything except suck up power and make the problem seem better in your mind.

Deepcool makes good coolers, but they don't particularly do well in the area of power supplies. I'm sure like most "brands" out there they might have a couple of decent or even good units, although if they do I've not seen any of them that had mainstream popularity or were common knowledge, but regardless even if they do they are probably more expensive than anything you'd find from Corsair, Antec, Super Flower, Seasonic or FSP that was the equivalent in quality or reliability.

The CX that Jon recommended is probably your absolute best low cost option.

Pedro sachez

Great
Jan 22, 2020
God no, don't waste your money on that PSU. I'm certain there are not going to be any reviews of either of those units available and equally sure that they're both completely unreliable and low quality.

I'd highly recommend you consider something like this instead, assuming that you are SURE that a TFX form factor unit will fit your SFF case, which I'm not, because I haven't verified it yet.

Although, technically it is recommended that you run a minimum of a 350w TFX unit with that graphics card, and I don't see anything above 300w available for this form factor, for your region, on PCPP. Perhaps through other channels.
This is so funny i unnistalled nzxt cam and now my pc doesnt drop below 170fps on medium. on lol. so funny but i think is should still upgrade my psu?

Having a good quality PSU is always a very good idea. It is more than just not "having problems". A high quality power supply can help to protect the rest of your hardware from premature failure that can and does occur when using very low quality power supplies that have high levels of ripple and electrical noise. Ripple can overheat and destroy the capacitors on motherboards and graphics cards, and there are of course other potential problems that can happen from low quality units to damage or destroy your other hardware as well not least of which are simply catching on fire.

Solution