Question My PCIe cable melted inside my GPU socket.

Jan 2, 2022
Hey Guys

Due to a loose connection between the Power supply cable and the power socket of Graphics Card, the insulation of the PSU cable got a little burnt and got stuck in the socket of my Graphic Card. The Graphic Card is working perfectly fine and there is no physical damage to it. The melted insulation of the PCIe cable of PSU is stuck inside the power socket of the Graphic card and so the psu cable is not going inside now. Thing is the RMA guys think its a burn issue and arent giving a specific answer for replacement. The GPU is in Warranty.

Please help as i have a RTX 3080 :C

Here is my Current Spec

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
RAM: Corsair Vengeance PRO RGB 32GB 3600MHZ
Mobo: MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk Wifi
GPU: Inno3d Ichill X3 RTX 3080
PSU: Gigabyte GM 750 watt 80+ gold

Lutfij

Titan
We're going to need a picture of the issue, to help understand what you're dealing with. Also...mind sharing a link to the Gigabyte PSU to corroborate it's model/SKU? Gamer's Nexus did a video showcasing how that PSU is more of a nightmare than a PSU.

Where are you located, mind you? FYI, if it's a burn issue, did you set the connector on fire? Claims like that are just silly from the seller's end, in spite of you being under warranty.

Reactions: PePew
Jan 2, 2022
We're going to need a picture of the issue, to help understand what you're dealing with. Also...mind sharing a link to the Gigabyte PSU to corroborate it's model/SKU? Gamer's Nexus did a video showcasing how that PSU is more of a nightmare than a PSU.

Where are you located, mind you? FYI, if it's a burn issue, did you set the connector on fire? Claims like that are just silly from the seller's end, in spite of you being under warranty.
Ya sure i will share a pic of the issue, also am from India. And yes i saw the Gamers Nexux vid of the PSU but thats not the issue.

Jan 2, 2022
So was it a loose connection?
Or a faulty PSU? If so, how did you determine this?

We can only work with the info you give us.
Thing is the pc used to crash sometimes due to a vga error, so i used to swap the pcie slots sometimes which worked for me., but later this time i smelled the insulation burning so i had to remove it, well it was fixed properly but idk what caused it, the PSU was also wokring fine and had no issue with other components.

Thing is the pc used to crash sometimes due to a vga error, so i used to swap the pcie slots sometimes which worked for me., but later this time i smelled the insulation burning so i had to remove it, well it was fixed properly but idk what caused it, the PSU was also wokring fine and had no issue with other components.
The picture doesn’t look bad at all. I don’t think you can say the psu was working fine as there is a chance it’s been the cause of your problems all along. At this point I’d get a new high quality psu and try the system, you must change all power cables to those that come with the psu.

Reactions: PePew
Jan 2, 2022
The picture doesn’t look bad at all. I don’t think you can say the psu was working fine as there is a chance it’s been the cause of your problems all along. At this point I’d get a new high quality psu and try the system, you must change all power cables to those that come with the psu.
Yes i am getting a new ROG PSU and also changing my cables to good sleeved ones, only thing is how to deal with the Melted insulation of cable which is stuck inside the GPU socket

Jan 2, 2022
Will a new plug fit? From that picture it didn’t look obstructed.
Well considering right now, i have sent the GPU to the dealer i bought it from, so that he can try to RMA and replace it, otherwise i did clean the socket with a needle how much i could and now the cables are going in the socket, but only thing is if i power up and the cable heats and the left over particles in the GPU will melt than it will be a issue

Well considering right now, i have sent the GPU to the dealer i bought it from, so that he can try to RMA and replace it, otherwise i did clean the socket with a needle how much i could and now the cables are going in the socket, but only thing is if i power up and the cable heats and the left over particles in the GPU will melt than it will be a issue
They might help under warranty, that’s up to Inno3D but there is a reasonable chance this won’t be covered. It’s not the fault of Inno3D, I only say this to manage expectations. If they do send it back I would try it on a new psu.

Jan 2, 2022
They might help under warranty, that’s up to Inno3D but there is a reasonable chance this won’t be covered. It’s not the fault of Inno3D, I only say this to manage expectations. If they do send it back I would try it on a new psu.
Well its under warranty and also there is no Physical damage as such, it was the cables which caused it, nothing in the gpu. Even the GPU works fine only thing is it will heat up and cause the insulation to melt stuck inside which is why i dont want to take a risk. After all its a RTX 3080, you dont get those easily these days

Well if Inoo3D doesnt help me out, i will have to try to clean it maybe by heating it up a little and then see what happens. But lets hope i get it replaced.