Discussion My personal BEST settings for the Dell S2716DG and related gaming monitors.

QwerkyPengwen

Dignified
Ambassador
Hey there folks, I just recently went through a spout of wanting to take the time to fine tune the settings for my monitor yet again, to try and get it as good looking as I could without using any calibration hardware, and after finalizing my settings, I thought I might share in the event that it could help anybody else with this monitor, or a similar monitor from the same family, such as the S2417DG and S2719DG as they all use a very similarly produced TN panel, and have very similar out of the box factory calibration.

Please understand, the settings I'm about to share with you may not be perfect, and may not be as good for you as they are for me, so they should be treated more as a baseline of settings, to then fine tune and tweak from to get your preferred look from the panel.

Now with that said, and before I get into it, I want to say some things.
Whites are not perfect on this monitor, also, reds are either strong, or weak, my panel at least doesn't seem to like doing much in between, but with these settings I did get them to be as good as I could where they are vibrant enough to pop, but not too washed out or too over saturated.

Blacks are definitely black.

Lastly, it should be noted just in case, that these settings are for use with Nvidia graphics cards and the Nvidia Control Panel since my specific monitor is a G-Sync monitor.

If using AMD, try your best to translate these settings into the AMD control panel to get a baseline and slightly adjust and fine tune from there.

Please feel free to give feedback here about how well these settings worked for you, and if you had to adjust anything and what you adjusted it to, as well as specifying which monitor you did it on.

And it should go without saying that things aren't going to be perfect since these monitors use TN panels, and so we have to try and get the best we can out of it.

So to get my personal settings, first, open the monitor OSD and go into the full settings.
Go to Brightness/Contrast and set Brightness to 100% and Contrast to 85 or 90% (I personally went with 85% but 90% also looks good)

Next, in the OSD, go to colors, set it to custom and change the RGB values to 100% on all of them.

Now, open the Nvidia Control Panel and go to "Adjust desktop color settings" option on the right hand side.
Once in here, change it from "other applications" option to "use NVIDIA settings"

Now, we are going to customize each color channel separately rather than doing the "all channels" option.

I have provided screenshots below to make it easier for you without having to read a ton.

Red Channel

Green Channel

Blue Channel

Adjusting the vibrance level at the bottom to less or more than 50% can result in things being too blown out or too washed out.
But feel free to adjust that setting as you like. (P.S. - The two settings at the bottom are global, and not per channel so you only adjust them once)

If you don't like the darkness of things being so dark, then all you have to do is lower the contrast on all three channels to either 90 or 80 depending on your preference.

PRO TIP:
Click once (or sometimes a second time) on the slider you want to adjust, and use the arrow keys on your keyboard to adjust in smaller more fine tuned increments.

Once done, click the "Apply" button on the bottom right of the Nvidia control panel and you're set.

Last thing though, if using Windows 10 like me, you'll find that sometimes, when you restart your computer and boot into Windows, that it'll reset your display settings and mess up the monitor.
To fix this is simple, just open the control panel, go to the color settings, and just click on the "use NVIDIA settings" option, even if it's already selected, just click it, and it will switch things back to the custom settings, then click Apply button again.

This is a super annoying thing, but unfortunately, I haven't yet found a way to keep Windows from messing with stuff.
Also, Windows will do this whenever you open the "Display Settings" in Windows to do things like adjust resolution, and if you have more than one monitor, where you go to adjust the positioning of each monitor.

So there you go, try out the settings, and even fine tune further from there, and let me know what you think of how it looks on your display.

Cheers :)

Last edited:

ASK THE COMMUNITY