My ping is higher than it should be

Oct 7, 2018
I have 175 download, 25 upload, i recently upgraded. My ping is 60-75, i am wired, i live close to the fortnite servers. My buddy who lives 30 minutes away plays fortnite with the same provider on around sub 30 ping, i am grasping for straws here cause it's such a ping intensive game and it's almost the gap between me being, or not being a pro player. something to note is i did do a test on fast.com and i had like 500 loaded packets for some reason.

You really can do nothing about the path your traffic takes once it leaves your house.

You can run tracert to see where the delays are but again far away from your house in the ISP network you can not do anything.

You should see about 1ms to your router and less than 20ms to the second hop which is the ISP connection to your house. The latency in the second hop depends on many things so it can vary a lot between people. "maybe" the ISP can do something but many times it is related to the wires coming to your house.

Most games are designed to not give a advantage to someone with lower latency but 30ms difference it nothing if it was 200ms difference maybe its a problem. I almost laugh when people say pro player in fortnite where RNG is such a huge factor and bunny hopping is considered a "tactical" maneuver

Oct 7, 2018

RNG is obviously a factor in any battle royale game but whenever you reach a certain level rng doesn't truly effect you that much. anyone who is signed to an organization and makes money playing the game competitively is generally considered a pro player no matter what the game is,
also i called ISP and they even said it was odd and my loaded packets shouldn't be that high and im considering a new router because there's a good chance my current can't handle the speeds i get. 30 ms is a very big difference in a game like fortnite also, because building is constant and has to happen very quickly but thx

Why would you think it is load. I hope you are not running bit torrent in the back ground.

If all you run is the game you are using maybe 1mbit/sec of bandwidth. Loaded bandwidth means nothing unless you over use your connection. Maybe better to investigate what else is using all your bandwidth while you play games and eliminate it.

Almost all modern routers can easily support your internet speed without issues. They for sure can support a single game running on the link.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You assume it's the pc. It's probably not. You adjacency to the fortnite servers doesn't mean anything, it's the connections between you and the server that mean everything. Your traffic does not go from your pc directly to the servers, it goes from you to the road, to the first node, maybe 2 or 3 other nodes to the isp to 4 or 5 more nodes and then hits the fortnite servers. Every single connection, line, trunk, node etc will introduce a slight amount of lag. All it takes is one node to have a seriously lousy connection, or be the target of electrical interference and you could easily see pings of 500+
As previously advised, run tracert to see just how the jumps are responding. If there's a particularly bad jump, a call to the isp might be advisable and let them know so it can be fixed.

Oct 7, 2018

def not a bandwith issue at all

Oct 7, 2018

tracert is fine, guess it's just a wire thing. i live in a small town so probably explains it, just want anyway to make it lower since im trying to make a career of this. thanks for the hlep everyone