my pings are extremely high and jumpy in games.

echayward1

Prominent
Feb 7, 2019
hey guys, so iv had this issue for some time now.

the issue is that my internet speed and pings are normal when i test on speedtest.net but when i play games its really really jumpy and high.

i have an 8mb download and 4mb upload line and when i test on speedtest.net its almost exactly that, my ping is around 26 - 30.

i live in south africa so when i play on EU servers say for instance fortnite, my ping should be around 170 -210, thats fine. i can play on that, the same then PUBG and any other game that doesn't have SouthAfrican servers. but since about December it hasn't been running like that, its permanently jumping up and down "no lies" between 250 and 1000, the majority of the time its at 300 - 500, not as high in southafrican server but still the same from about 100 - 500. if it would just keep a consistent ping i would be happy.

i have phoned my isp and even had a technician from them to come over and see whats going on, they say everything coming from them is normal which i see is true from the speed test.

things i'v tried

1. updating all my drivers

2. making sure nothing is downloading or nothing is open in the background.

3. tried gaming vpn software's

4. making sure no one else is on the internet except me. i'v even unplugged the cable that comes from the modem straight into my pc so that my pc is the only thing on the internet and still the same problem

5. yeah i do also have an Ethernet cable plugged in.

i can think of so much more things that i'v tried but would take hours.

if someone could please assist me on this issue it would be much appreciated.

Reece.

echayward1

Prominent
Feb 7, 2019

i have tried all of those they do noth whatsoever. besides, i shouldn't have to use that software in the first place. it was all good.
all of my friends live in south africa and non of them have these problems

echayward1

Prominent
Feb 7, 2019

it only started happening in about December. it was all good until then. they didn't move are anything, also my speed tests on speedtest.net are about 30ms

Pretty standard troubleshooting.

Run a tracert to some site like 8.8.8.8. Unless you get very lucky you will not see the problem. Next open mulitple cmd windows and run constant ping to hop1 hop 2 and the final 8.8.8.8

If you see the spikes in hop1 it is your pc or router. If hop1 is good but hop2 has issue then it is the connection to your ISP. You can test other hops to figure out which is causing the issue but the farther from your house it is the hard it is to get fixed.

If 8.8.8.8 causes no issues then you have the nasty issue of problems between your ISP and other ISP in the path to say EU. You can run tracert to the servers and use the pings to find it but not much you can do if for example there is a problem between level3 and verizon in another country.

echayward1

Prominent
Feb 7, 2019

thanks for replying!
this is what i got when i did a tracert to 8.8.8.8

Tracing route to google-public-dns-a.google.com [8.8.8.8]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.1.1
2 48 ms 5 ms 13 ms 172.27.29.129
3 6 ms 6 ms 44 ms 172.27.29.57
4 20 ms 12 ms 10 ms 172.27.32.49
5 * * * Request timed out.
6 * * * Request timed out.
7 54 ms 53 ms 52 ms 72.14.212.1
8 87 ms 61 ms 68 ms 72.14.239.33
9 60 ms 59 ms 55 ms google-public-dns-a.google.com [8.8.8.8]

Trace complete.

It is very jumpy even in hop2 so it may be a issue with the connection to your house. Like I mentioned tracert is not much value. It only runs for a very short period of time. You need to actually ping the hops in the path.

Still these spikes are tiny compared to what you are concerned about. It may not be a valid test if it does not show the problem.

The 8.8.8.8 ip address is a google dns server that has the ip duplicated in many cities. It is likely in a city somewhere close. Hard to say the 72.14.x.x ip range are owned by google and it tends to be hard to geo locate those. Still 50ms can be many hundreds of miles away.

You can try the actual game server IP. Your really need to hope the problem is in the first few hops because the rest may be in another ISP. Your ISP is being a pain they are using private IP for hops 2-4 so it make it harder to troubleshoot....then again the ISP "should" be able to troubleshoot their own network without your help but many are clueless.

Your goal is to find the hop that gets the huge increase. You may or may not be able to do much. Most solution for problems far into the trace are related to try to get rid of your ISP. Either by getting a different ISP at your house (not likely for most people) or using some form of VPN provider that you hope to get lucky and has a better path. The VPN route is very hit and miss and of course increases your monthly costs.

echayward1

Prominent
Feb 7, 2019

thank you so much for your time, i will try all of that you have just mentioned.