My PNY GTX 780's PCI-e ports do not work. (No Signal but signal without the cables) Cheap PSU with bad cables? Or damaged GPU?

billywws

Reputable
Dec 27, 2014
I've recently built my first computer. Everything works, except for my GTX 780. When I don't have the PCI-e cables plugged in, it shows the message to power down and connect them. When I do, I get no signal. The on-board graphics work though. I'm not sure if it's because it's a crap PSU, or my GPU is defective. I'm a bit worried about it, and I don't want to realize I've wasted over £400 on a broken GPU.

My PSU is from EVO Labs, and it's a 750W PSU. I looked at it on Amazon/eBay. And by average it's around £20/£35. I think it might be the PSU, but I'm still really worried. If anybody could help, that would be amazing. It also only had one 6+2 PCI-e cable, and I used a Molex to 6-pin cable for connecting the 6-pin to the GTX 780. It doesn't work. I've been thinking of investing in a CORSAIR CX600 PSU, since I've heard good things about it. So I REALLY hope it's the PSU, because if it is the GPU, I don't know what to do about it, so I've pretty much wasted over £400 and can't afford to get another if it is the GPU. :(

Although, I have a suspicion that it's a higher chance that the PSU is terrible. Because without the PCI-e cables, I do get signal but I get the error message to connect the cables, so it MIGHT NOT be the GPU.

If anyone could advise me, I will appreciate it LOADS.

UPDATE: I got myself a CORSAIR CX600 PSU. I plugged everything in, but still... no signal. The on-board graphics still work and everything else. In the BIOS, I set it to only use a video card if available, but the PCI-e ports don't work. I tried both HDMI and DVI, but neither of them work. I plug the PCI-e cables out, I get the error.

Just in case anyone wants to know the specs:

Case: ZALMAN Z9 ATX Case

Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-H Ultra Durable Motherboard

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz CPU

GPU: PNY NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 HDMI/DVI

HDD: 3TB HDD

RAM: x1 8GB DDR3 RAM Stick

Total: Around £750

Please help me on this. I don't want to have wasted £400 on a defective GPU if that's the case. :'(

billywws

Reputable
Dec 27, 2014

My motherboard does not have any BIOS updates released for it. It's relatively new, made in 2014. I checked Gigabyte's website for my motherboard, but there's no new BIOS version. Even if there was, I'm very scared of re-flashing my BIOS due to me doing it once to another mobo and it ended up bricking the whole thing.

billywws

Reputable
Dec 27, 2014

I tried it in another machine, and it did the same thing, no signal. So it must be a defective GPU that I'll need to RMA.

billywws

Reputable
Dec 27, 2014

I'm planning to go back to the store for a replacement card, repair or refund. Thanks for the help anyway.