Question My Power supply got louder!

Zeto

Commendable
Oct 16, 2020
After 1 year of having this computer the power supply started getting louder than usual, its been like this since march/april.

What could be the cause and how could I fix this issue?

I bought the HP Elite 8300 Tower Desktop PC, with a 320W power supply branded by HP.
Since it is store bought, you may want to request warranty service on it if you feel there is a real problem, or you could wait and see if the noise gets worse before servicing it. It's rare that a store bought computer has a high quality power supply, so it's not really a surprise that it's noisy. If you have any problems with the system like freezes or random shutdowns you should get it serviced right away before it gets worse and damages something. If the warranty is over you'll have to replace it yourself or take it to a repair shop.

Zeto

Commendable
Oct 16, 2020
Since it is store bought, you may want to request warranty service on it if you feel there is a real problem, or you could wait and see if the noise gets worse before servicing it. It's rare that a store bought computer has a high quality power supply, so it's not really a surprise that it's noisy. If you have any problems with the system like freezes or random shutdowns you should get it serviced right away before it gets worse and damages something. If the warranty is over you'll have to replace it yourself or take it to a repair shop.
I actually bought this computer may of 2019 from amazon as refurbished, and its lasted really well for that time, but for the past few months it has been getting louder and the OVERALL pc responsiveness is becoming delayed and less responsive.

Can a power supply actually make a computer less responsive and decrease performance like that? It is the power source for everything, but can It actually make a computer worse??

I'm really curious to know my friend?

I actually bought this computer may of 2019 from amazon as refurbished, and its lasted really well for that time, but for the past few months it has been getting louder and the OVERALL pc responsiveness is becoming delayed and less responsive.

Can a power supply actually make a computer less responsive and decrease performance like that? It is the power source for everything, but can It actually make a computer worse??

I'm really curious to know my friend?
It sounds more like a temperature problem. Are you absolutely positive the power supply fan is running faster? Did you take the side cover off and check if the CPU fan is running faster?

Zeto

Commendable
Oct 16, 2020
It sounds more like a temperature problem. Are you absolutely positive the power supply fan is running faster? Did you take the side cover off and check if the CPU fan is running faster?
Actually both the cpu and power supply fans are running faster than normal, accept the power supply is noticeably louder, and the GPU fan is almost quiet.

Actually both the cpu and power supply fans are running faster than normal, accept the power supply is noticeably louder, and the GPU fan is almost quiet.
If the CPU fan is running higher than normal it may indicate a thermal issue and the fan is trying its best to cool the CPU. This would account for the performance decrease if the CPU is throttling. The CPU will use lower power to try and prevent overheating. If it gets hot enough it would shutdown to protect itself. I'm unsure why the PSU fan would increase.

Zeto

Commendable
Oct 16, 2020
If the CPU fan is running higher than normal it may indicate a thermal issue and the fan is trying its best to cool the CPU. This would account for the performance decrease if the CPU is throttling. The CPU will use lower power to try and prevent overheating. If it gets hot enough it would shutdown to protect itself. I'm unsure why the PSU fan would increase.
is there anything I can or should do to fix this issue, obviously the PSU is running at high speed, so that must mean that A. its degrading overtime, B. its using or consuming alot of power from something, or C. it is a thermal issue.

Also I put new Thermal Paste on the cpu and the thermal paste is like 1 week old from today

Zeto

Commendable
Oct 16, 2020
ok so quick update, my cpu temps are below 45degrees Celsius, so it isn't actually my CPU.