[SOLVED] My Power Supply has no Connector for my GPU fan

Hyjune

Reputable
Feb 14, 2020
Hi, so I was cleaning out my PC today and I found out that my GPU fan hasn't been plugged in this entire time. When I looked at my power supply, I found out that it doesn't have any pin connections on it, but when I look it up online it seems like it should. Is there any way for me to connect this fan somewhere, or am I out of luck? Furthermore, if it isn't possible to connect, is it detrimental to my setup? My power supply is a Corsair cx600 and my graphics card is a 1060. The connector the fan has is a 6 pin pci-e with another 2 pin coming out of it.

Update: I'm just stupid. The only reason I thought this was a problem in the first place was because I didn't see my gpu fans spinning while it was on idle. My fan was plugged in the whole time, and I didn't know because I didn't build my PC nor have I built a PC yet. When I saw the pcie cable plugged into the gpu I thought it wasn't plugged into the power supply yet and there was another extra pcie cable which I thought was the other end of that different cable. It was a really dumb issue where I basically just confused myself over nothing.

Last edited:
Solution
Every fan for the GPU gets it's power from the card itself. It has been a very long time since I've seen a setup where the fan doesn't get it's power that way. You'd have to go back to the single output cards of old like the TI4200 and other cards from that era to get external the card powered fans.

Are you sure it's not the power for the card? I could see the 1060 needing a normal 8pin PCIe power plug. The CX600W should have two of those. Just go ahead and plug it in. If the card hasn't been plugged in all this time and it's been working I suspect you are still using the IGP found on the board/CPU. Move the monitor from there to the 1060.

4745454b

Titan
Every fan for the GPU gets it's power from the card itself. It has been a very long time since I've seen a setup where the fan doesn't get it's power that way. You'd have to go back to the single output cards of old like the TI4200 and other cards from that era to get external the card powered fans.

Are you sure it's not the power for the card? I could see the 1060 needing a normal 8pin PCIe power plug. The CX600W should have two of those. Just go ahead and plug it in. If the card hasn't been plugged in all this time and it's been working I suspect you are still using the IGP found on the board/CPU. Move the monitor from there to the 1060.

Solution

Ralston18

Titan
Make and model motherboard?

Update your post to include full system specs and OS.

The GPU's power connection may the source of power for the GPU's fans.

The guiding documents are the motherboard's User Guide/Manual, the GPU's User Guide/Manual, and the PSU as well.

You must be able to match all of the connecting cables to the applicable ports on the motherboard/GPU.

Read all documentation including the notes and fine print.

Do not use PSU cables from another make or model PSU.

Hi, so I was cleaning out my PC today and I found out that my GPU fan hasn't been plugged in this entire time. When I looked at my power supply, I found out that it doesn't have any pin connections on it, but when I look it up online it seems like it should. Is there any way for me to connect this fan somewhere, or am I out of luck? Furthermore, if it isn't possible to connect, is it detrimental to my setup? My power supply is a Corsair cx600 and my graphics card is a 1060. The connector the fan has is a 6 pin pci-e with another 2 pin coming out of it.

GTX 1060 doesn't get power from the power supply for anything. The fan for the GPU should be plugged into the GPU's PCB.