[SOLVED] My power supply is the Thermaltake TR2 500W Bronze with a 4+4 atx 12v power supply and my new motherboard has an 8 pin connector. Will they work?

May 15, 2021
So I have an old computer I am upgrading. My power supply works fine currently but I want to know if I can use it with my new motherboard. My power supply is the Thermaltake TR2 500w Bronze and it has a 4+4 12v power supply. My new motherboard has an 8 pin socket for cpu power. Can I use both of the 4 pins next to each other? Will this power supply work for this motherboard? Please help me. Thank You
https://es.thermaltake.com/tr2-500w-bronze.html

Solution
My power supply is very old but has been flawless so far knock on wood lol
That unfortunately is part of the problem. Many power supplies will work fine until they don't. Problem is when they don't, they can cause damage and end up costing a lot more.

so i think it will have enough power and all
Power isn't the issue, QUALITY is. I talk about it slightly more in #1 here How To - Top (not as obvious) mistakes made when selecting parts for a Custom PC. For example, a good quality PSU fails, and it protects your system, you replace the PSU, no big harm. A bad quality PSU fails and it can take your new GPU, or MB with it for example.

Does it matter left to right which one goes where?
They should be keyed so...
May 15, 2021
That's what they're made for. And also why it is called 4+4, because joining them together will populate the 8-pin sockets :)

All I will say, is the TR2 Bronze are generally a really poor thermaltake series PSU. I wouldn't have it in a regular modern system, ESPECIALLY if it's an older unit.
Thank you for your information! My power supply is very old but has been flawless so far knock on wood lol...

With that said, I will be running a "MSI GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB GDRR5 128-bit HDCP Support DirectX 12 ITX OC (GTX 1050 TI AERO ITX 4G OC)" video card and a "Intel® Core™ i5-11400 Processor" so i think it will have enough power and all... I will plan on an upgrade soonish, but it should have enough power... I don't think it will melt. Do you? Again thank you!

May 15, 2021
That's what they're made for. And also why it is called 4+4, because joining them together will populate the 8-pin sockets :)

All I will say, is the TR2 Bronze are generally a really poor thermaltake series PSU. I wouldn't have it in a regular modern system, ESPECIALLY if it's an older unit.
Also, so i can just plug them both in side by side? Does it matter left to right which one goes where?
Again, thank you!

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
My power supply is very old but has been flawless so far knock on wood lol
That unfortunately is part of the problem. Many power supplies will work fine until they don't. Problem is when they don't, they can cause damage and end up costing a lot more.

so i think it will have enough power and all
Power isn't the issue, QUALITY is. I talk about it slightly more in #1 here How To - Top (not as obvious) mistakes made when selecting parts for a Custom PC. For example, a good quality PSU fails, and it protects your system, you replace the PSU, no big harm. A bad quality PSU fails and it can take your new GPU, or MB with it for example.

Does it matter left to right which one goes where?
They should be keyed so you can only enter them 1 way. You'll see they are made to go together in one direction.
44pin-EPS-Female-1.jpg

I don't think it will melt. Do you?
No way of telling. And ultimately, you have stated you're getting a lower end GPU and it is an older system, however point remains that it's a poor quality PSU, and you say you've also had it a long time. PSUs deteriorate over time and have a shelf life. But as stated above, problem with the poor quality PSUs is when they do go, they can do much more damage.

Solution
May 15, 2021

They should be keyed so you can only enter them 1 way. You'll see they are made to go together in one direction.
44pin-EPS-Female-1.jpg

No way of telling. And ultimately, you have stated you're getting a lower end GPU and it is an older system, however point remains that it's a poor quality PSU, and you say you've also had it a long time. PSUs deteriorate over time and have a shelf life. But as stated above, problem with the poor quality PSUs is when they do go, they can do much more damage.

Man, that is the best rapid response on the net I have ever had! Great information!!!! So yeah, I will look into replacing the psu asap. That gpu isnt that low end haha.... (but yeah it is nothing special). So I haven't looked recently, but my 4+4 should look like above right? Again, you are awesome and I think nailed my question. I am keeping my old chassis and fans etc... I built this pc in 2012 and it still keeps up wonderfully, just wanted to upgrade before it was too old... My i5 3570k has been a rocker since then with corsair memory and an msi z77ma-g45 motherboard~! I got lucky I feel with my choice back then. I mean it still plays all my games, just trying to upgrade.

May 15, 2021

44pin-EPS-Female-1.jpg

According to the site they are two separate plugs, but you are saying they should line up as shown above right?

First of all, the aux ATX 4 or 8 pin connectors may not be needed.
They supply extra power for multi pcie slots and overclocking.
If you look at the motherboard cable, there will be a latch on one side of the connector.
That must match up with the 8 pin motherboard socket.
These things are keyed to only fit one way.
Do not force anything.