[SOLVED] My Power supply isn't getting power

Feb 11, 2021
I'm building a pc for the second time and I ran into a bit of an issue. I recently got a 850 watt power supply and tested it with the paper clip method. It worked fine. The fans were spinning and my connected fan was also spinning. However, when I connected all of the cables and set it up, the power supply wasn't getting power. I did the paper clip method with everything plugged in and the fan still spun which means that the problem has to be with the motherboards connection to the power supply. I switched out the 24 pin connector for my old one and it still didn't work. I don't know what is wrong with my motherboard so I came to you for a diagnose.

Solution
I'm building a pc for the second time and I ran into a bit of an issue. I recently got a 850 watt power supply and tested it with the paper clip method. It worked fine. The fans were spinning and my connected fan was also spinning. However, when I connected all of the cables and set it up, the power supply wasn't getting power. I did the paper clip method with everything plugged in and the fan still spun which means that the problem has to be with the motherboards connection to the power supply. I switched out the 24 pin connector for my old one and it still didn't work. I don't know what is wrong with my motherboard so I came to you for a diagnose.
Paper clip method proves nothing except that fan works. You need to check...
Paper clip method proves nothing except that fan works. You need to check voltages in every connector, specially 24 pin and and other ATX connector for MB.

Solution

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Hopefully the PSU is dead. Modular power cables are not universal and a working PSU, with your old 24-pin cable, could very well have destroyed the CPU and/or motherboard.

Can you test it out with your full old PSU (rather than just swapping out the cables, which you do not do unless you know the pinouts are identical).