[SOLVED] My prebuilt PC constantly keeps turning itself off whenever I play a particularly demanding game.

Jan 26, 2020
Hello!

I recently bought this computer https://www.amazon.com/SkyTech-Azure-Gaming-Computer-Desktop/dp/B07Y99FSS3

And it was working fine up until I decided to play The Witcher 3 on ultra.

I get about 5-10 minutes of gameplay before my monitors shut off and the fans get all loud, I have to restart my computer whenever this happens in order to get it back and running.

I am quite inexperienced with this in general and I have no idea what should be done, I updated my drivers and this only happens in certain games (Outer worlds, Destiny 2)

Solution
You need to check your thermals. Use Ryzen master software for your CPU and something like msi afterburner for your gpu.

The other thing it might be is your PSU. I didnt see which one is listed and many of these prebuilt use very low quality model power supplies that even if they meet the wattage requirements they are such poor units issues like this can happen.

Looks on the back on inside the case and list what make and model PSU you have.
You need to check your thermals. Use Ryzen master software for your CPU and something like msi afterburner for your gpu.

The other thing it might be is your PSU. I didnt see which one is listed and many of these prebuilt use very low quality model power supplies that even if they meet the wattage requirements they are such poor units issues like this can happen.

Solution
It looks as though there are fans. The case looks like an older design due to the top mount power supply. As was stated above, many times PC builders cheap out on the power supply. So knowing what model the power supply is will help.

But looking again at that case, I don't see a lot of airflow in there with the front being closed.

Jan 26, 2020

This is what a found for the power supply : InWin 650 Watt Gold Power Supply Full Modular

Yeah In Wins are pretty bad. They have inconsistant power delivery and with a 2080 Super it's no surprise you have issues.

I cant guarentee you it's the PSU but it's a strong g suspect. You could try to contact the manufacturer but if anything they'll just put another InWin in. If it were me I would buy a new higher quality PSU and swap it amd the cables out.

I would put a tier 1 or S in that system maybe a tier 2.

I found the PSU and as was stated, it was In Win 650w. That doesn't concern me too much although overall the PSU is not all that great. Now, with the RTX 2080 they say that you need a minimum of a 650w PSU. I don't pay a lot of attention to that, what I DO look at is the requirement in the +12v Rail. That card is probably up there ( I haven't looked at that ). I can tell you that that PSU has 54.2a on the +12v Rail. I am wondering if that is enough for that video card. I have and have played The Witcher 3. You said you were playing in on Ultra. I am thinking you are having a PSU issue. That game is no lightweight and you best have the stuff to be playing it on Ultra.