[SOLVED] My processor i5 9600k is consuming 95+ Watt in idle state and not overclocked

Sep 1, 2020
System Specs:
I5 9600k
Hyper 212 cooler
MSI z390-a pro mobo
Corsair vengance pro 16gb (8*2)
256gb ssd
1tb hdd
At idle my processor is consuming 95-100watt on average. Is this behavior normal for i5 9600k? Measurement are taken from Core Temp and others reading are same. Kindly guide me. Can I claim warranty?

At idle my processor is consuming 95-100watt on average. Is this behavior normal for i5 9600k? Measurement are taken from Core Temp and others reading are same. Kindly guide me. Can I claim warranty?
Core temp doesn't even show you average watt,it shows you the TDP the CPU is rated at,which is 95W for your CPU and it shows you the current watts at that moment.
Getting 95-100w once in a while is normal for your CPU,if it stays at that all the time then you do have a problem..

Sep 1, 2020
Core temp doesn't even show you average watt,it shows you the TDP the CPU is rated at,which is 95W for your CPU and it shows you the current watts at that moment.
Getting 95-100w once in a while is normal for your CPU,if it stays at that all the time then you do have a problem..
Even at idel state cpu draws 95-100watt but with only 40% usage Watt reading goes above 180watt. Processor is not overclocked just turbo boost enabled.

Sep 1, 2020
I'm getting constantly 95+ Watt even at idle state

Even with MCE enabled, if Balanced is chosen in Power Plans, the CPU and mainboard should idle at near 800 MHz, then spool up to max turbo on all cores when under heavy load. If examining the HWMonitor output closely, one should see cores jumping from 800 MHz to 1200, to 2100 MHz, occasionally all the way to 4600 MHz a few times a second when/if various background tasks kick in...

Sep 1, 2020
How can I add screenshots of my power readings in this thread?
Even with MCE enabled, if Balanced is chosen in Power Plans, the CPU and mainboard should idle at near 800 MHz, then spool up to max turbo on all cores when under heavy load. If examining the HWMonitor output closely, one should see cores jumping from 800 MHz to 1200, to 2100 MHz, occasionally all the way to 4600 MHz a few times a second when/if various background tasks kick in...
Kindly find the attachments here and help me resolve this issue

Sep 1, 2020
Have you changed the short and long duration power limits or was that default?
Put the short to 125W and the long to 95w I don't know what the current limit should be but 193 seems extremely high as well.

If you want better than default performance you should look up some overclocking/undervolting tutorials to get the best performance at the lowest power draw.
I didnt change anything. Everything is on Auto.

TRENDING THREADS