My product key wont work

installation and activation are two different processes. installation requires a valid key to be typed in, unlocks the software to be installed.
Activation causes the key to be associated to your account. This requires a working internet connection, a valid key that also has not been used.

make sure your internet connection is working correctly before you attempt to activate your key. if the service is rejecting your key you need to call microsoft support and find out why it is being rejected and get it fixed or a replacement key.

Jul 24, 2013

no it was the actual discs however the case also says i have the option to upgrade IF i want. Ill try calling the help center again tommorow see if i can actualy get through to an acctual person

gadgetgurl42

Honorable
Jan 29, 2014
Hi, any luck? I've got the same problem, but different context.

Have genuine disk of full Windows 8 Pro (not an upgrade version).

Originally installed it on my Mac using Bootcamp. Have since removed the Windows partition on my Mac and used the disk to install W8 Pro on a brand new Toshiba laptop SSHD. Product key was accepted during installation, but doesn't respond to activation. Error just tells me it's wrong.

I too have tried to ring Microsoft support. I've spoken to people in India and the USA (I'm in New Zealand), but everyone keeps palming me off to someone else and it's quite clear that their so-called 'tech support' or 'helpdesk' are NOT worth their wages. Over a day ago they were going to ring me on my mobile; haven't heard a thing.

It's like Microsoft is deliberately trying to make things more difficult than it should be for their legitimate, paid-up, non-pirate users!

No idea what my next move is...

Try the automated telephone system. Windows key plus 'R'
Type slui.exe 4 then Enter
Choose your local number.

gadgetgurl42

Honorable
Jan 29, 2014
[/quotemsg]
[/quotemsg]

Thanks, dodger46. After typing slui.exe 4 I get a screen with a button to activate windows with a n ew product key. I gave that a go with my genuine key from the W8 Pro box (had nothing to lose!), but now the error message says that I can't activate with that key because it doesn't cater for full installs, only upgrades.

But my disk IS a FULL install. I didn't buy an upgrade version at all!!

I didn't see anything about an automated phone system though??

Any other thoughts re. what I could do? I'm tempted to find a crack, simple to get as legitimate, paid up version of the software activated.

Thanks

[/quotemsg]

Thanks, dodger46. After typing slui.exe 4 I get a screen with a button to activate windows with a n ew product key. I gave that a go with my genuine key from the W8 Pro box (had nothing to lose!), but now the error message says that I can't activate with that key because it doesn't cater for full installs, only upgrades.

But my disk IS a FULL install. I didn't buy an upgrade version at all!!

I didn't see anything about an automated phone system though??

Any other thoughts re. what I could do? I'm tempted to find a crack, simple to get as legitimate, paid up version of the software activated.

Thanks
[/quotemsg]
One last try, the upgrade version can be clean installed, and to activate it you simply perform a Refresh. Slip your Installation disk back in and type 'Refresh' at your Start Screen. From Settings choose 'Refresh your PC'
Hopefully once done it should be activated...