My PSU exploded

Grybzt

Commendable
Aug 17, 2016
Hi,

I'm having pretty old PC (8 years old) and wanted it to upgrade one last time and bought GTX 750 ti, because it was very low power. Old GPU's TDP was 55W and new one was 60 W.

Today I installed it, installed drives and after launching few games some sparks came out of PSU and fuse made cutout. It wasn't smoking, but I could smell burning electronics.

After I turned everything off, I smelled my PC and no parts except PSU had burning smell.

So now, I'm wondering how can I check if my other computer parts are okay? What should I do?

PSU:
Inter-tech 500W
Motherboard:
GA-G31M-S2L
CPU:
Intel quad core Q8200
GPU
(old) Radeon HD 7750
(new) GTX 750 ti

Solution

As i stated previously the watt of the PSU isn't all that matters and in some cases, such as the one you're in, is irrelevant. From what i can tell the PSU isn't of very good quality and i would...

Reputable
Jun 29, 2016

You need to get a new psu.

Grybzt

Commendable
Aug 17, 2016

Is there a way to check if my GPU wasn't damaged?

I could return it then and just build new PC, but now I'm in a crossroad. I don't want to spend extra money just to diagnose this PC too much.

Reputable
Jun 29, 2016

Well you will need to get a new PSU anyway if you are building a new PC, i would recommend you getting a good quality one with the 80+ Certification, good brands are EVGA, Seasonic, Crosair are okay. you could ask a friend or family member if you could use there system to check it, if it is damaged it won't damage there PC. Theres not really a way(that i know of) you can test it without a PSU as a PC can work without the GPU.

Grybzt

Commendable
Aug 17, 2016

Thanks,
Also, is there a possibility that my new GPU was corrupted and it made PSU to short out? I mean I calculated the walltage, it seemed ok.

Reputable
Jun 29, 2016

No worries, and no, it is highly unlikely that that would be the case. Watt is not the only factor you should be looking at in a PSU, Especially when buying a cheap power supply. Do you know the exact model/brand it is/was?

Grybzt

Commendable
Aug 17, 2016

I had this PSU http://www.skytech.lt/itsl50012cm-power-supply-intertech-itsl500-230v-5060hz-33512v-500w-retail-passiv-p-24029.html#tabsnav-1
Had it for 8 years in this PC and it's first time had problems with it... It has 500 W, while my build is not even using 300 W since I don't even use CD/DVD drive.

Reputable
Jun 29, 2016

As i stated previously the watt of the PSU isn't all that matters and in some cases, such as the one you're in, is irrelevant. From what i can tell the PSU isn't of very good quality and i would say it did extremley well to last all those years, it seems the extra pressure put on the Power supply with this card may have caused it to 'pop'. Now, if you're lucky it will have only damaged the PSU, be sure it has and check the motherboard for burn marks. Your best bet would be to get a good brand of PSU you can get a good 600W EVGA With the 80+ Certifiacte for dirt cheap (around £40) and it seems to be pretty good, this would also somewhat futureproof the system for futher upgrades later on.

Solution

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Won't know if the GPU survived until you get a new PSU or test it in another PC. And that it didn't explode until now doesn't mean it wasn't slowly damaging your components due to poor voltage regulation and the like, a common situation with low-end junk PSUs - eating a pound of bacon for breakfast every morning damages your heart long before you have a heart attack.

Reputable
Jun 29, 2016

IRELLEVANT TO SUBJECT:

Love the analogy for this :D

Grybzt

Commendable
Aug 17, 2016
Update:

I ordered CORSAIR PSU VS Series 550W

Today it was delivered and I've put it PC. Everything seems to work fine. Did little stress test and everything went smoothly as well.

But I kinda smell just a little bit strange smell, my brother couldn't smell it. So am I being paranoidic or is that slight smell is possible since PSU is so new?

TRENDING THREADS