[SOLVED] My PSU exploded

Luk3skywalker

Prominent
May 23, 2019
This morning, I was stupidly messing around with my Thermaltake TR2-450w PSU red switch.(good thing nothing was connected to it) I plugged it in, turned it on then switched the red switch and heard a pop and saw an explosion! I am very stupid but I didn't know what I was doing.

Do you think it is still usable or do I throw it out?

I am pretty new to PC building

Solution
PSU is toast. It was poor quality junk to begin with and you might have done yourself a favor by killing it before it had a chance to kill your system. Any decent modern PSU is not going to have a selector switch for the voltage.

hopsteriam

Reputable
Mar 12, 2018
It's cactus, Been there and tested one after a big pop with a spark appearing in mid air near it, no go. Admittedly I didn't turn it from 240 to 110 volts like it seems you did. I turned it from common rail to dual rail but I would not trust it.

Luk3skywalker

Prominent
May 23, 2019
So, do you want help selecting a new PSU? If so, please post your PC specs
Well, if you look at my other post today about my case and motherboard https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/where-do-i-put-hd-audio-cable-on-my-mobo.3482640/
I will have to get back to you about that but here are my specs:

Lenovo m91p SFF

8gb DDR3 RAM

Nvidia HP GT 730 2gb GDDR5 but i want to upgrade it to a budget gpu like a GTX 1050, gtx 750 ti

I5-2400

idk what the mobo name is but it is the one that comes with Lenovo m91p SFF

i think that's it

oh and I have no idea what the psu is, its like a chinese brand but it doesn't even say what the voltage is.

davew1860

Prominent
Feb 6, 2019
sorry but that still is a little bit out of my price range. my price range is like 0-70 australian dollars which is like 50 US dollars.
and I dont mind if i have a modular one or not.

For 3 and a half more hours, you should be able to buy it for only $40USD = 58 Australian dollars.

Is the link properly showing? This is the model:

CORSAIR CX 450 at Newegg.com