My psu fans do not turn on. Brand new psu's

ssmokeyy

Distinguished
May 2, 2010
I have 3 mining rigs and on my 3rd one I just built it has 1 corsair rm850x and rm1000x. The rm1000x has 3 gtx 1080 overclocked and the rm850x has 2 gtx 1080 and the system to run. The fans do a test spin when I start the system. They never come on at idle or load when mining. I know these fans shut off until there hot enough to turn on. So my q is should I put fans pulling air out of them or not worry about it. Being that there running 24/7 pushing power out I don't want them to slow kill them selfs because the temp never gets hot in the box. Should I just not worry about it. My miner shut off and restarted not sure if that was the overclock at this point or the psu overheating.

Solution
The PSU won't overheat since the fans turn on as needed.

So if your rig shut down it's a separate issue. It COULD be the power supply but not specifically due to heat likely. Plus, there's no "ECO MODE" type switch to disable so you would need to:

Troubleshoot, such as SWAPPING power supplies around to see how that affects the problem. If the system shuts down still with a known working PSU then it's obviously not the power supply.
The PSU won't overheat since the fans turn on as needed.

So if your rig shut down it's a separate issue. It COULD be the power supply but not specifically due to heat likely. Plus, there's no "ECO MODE" type switch to disable so you would need to:

Troubleshoot, such as SWAPPING power supplies around to see how that affects the problem. If the system shuts down still with a known working PSU then it's obviously not the power supply.

Solution

ssmokeyy

Distinguished
May 2, 2010
It was the psu's. I normal clocks the cards and still the pc random shuts off. So i said ok lets put them on there sides and puts a fan next to them. Turned on pc turned on miner software and 2 seconds with miner on the psu fans turn on. I set the overclock back to the normal setting and running fine. I hope they didn't damage there selfs by not turning on there fans after all that time. Again brand new corsair rmx line. DO NOT PUT THIS MODEL ON THERE BACK. not safe.

Okay, I'm slightly confused...

You are saying that the PSU fan turns ON when the PC is on its side but under the same load (which I assume exceeds the turn-on Wattage?) the fans turn on?

You should contact Corsair.

I don't understand WHY the fans on these PSU's would turn on when they are on the side but not upright however, so have I MISUNDERSTOOD something?