[SOLVED] My psu has a 6 pin and i bought an 8 pin gpu

BucketBoi

Commendable
Jul 23, 2020
So a friend of mine gave me an 8 to 6+2 cable and i got 4 pins from my 24 pin mobo cable and put 6 and 4 pins into my 8 pin to 6+2 cable and everything fits but im scared to try it will my mobo work on 20 pins and will those 2 pins hanging be a problem if it sounds complicated ill take a screen shot edit:idk how to place a pic here

Solution
Sorry I needed to get that out quickly before you destroyed something.

If your PSU does not have the proper 8 pin PCIE cable you need a new PSU, PERIOD.

What you just did that you thankfully didn't turn on could have at a minimum fried your GPU, at worst blown something up and caused a fire.

Messing with PSU wiring is not for anyone who is not VERY experienced in the topic.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

If your PSU does not have the proper 8 pin PCIE cable you need a new PSU, PERIOD.

What you just did that you thankfully didn't turn on could have at a minimum fried your GPU, at worst blown something up and caused a fire.

Messing with PSU wiring is not for anyone who is not VERY experienced in the topic.

Solution

BucketBoi

Commendable
Jul 23, 2020
DO NOT DO THAT
Will my mobo die or gpu

Damn cant afford a new psu rn any cheap and not dangerous solutions?