[SOLVED] My PSU has an 8 pin and 6 pin PCIE plug. Is that enough to power a 3080?

Oct 21, 2020
Hello,

I plan on obtaining a Rtx 3080 when I can. I understand that it needs two 8 pins to power the 12 pin adapter. My PSU, which supplies enough power, has a 8 pin PCIE plug (with a red housing) and a 6 pin PCIE plug (with a black housing). I don't know if the color of the housing is important.

Can I convert the 6 pin to an 8 pin and use them to power the 12 pin gpu?

Thanks

Solution
No. Standard has an 8pin pcie drawing upto 150w, a 6pin good for 75w. By converting the 6pin to 8pin, you can potentially draw 150w through a 75w connection. That = fire hazard in a big way.

Also if the psu does not have 2x 6+2pin (8pin) pcie wires (the psu side doesn't count) then common sense dictates the psu is not rated for a gpu output requiring 2x 6+2pin power.

Vendors don't mix colors (that I know of) so either the red or the black connector is the psu side, also pcie are 6+2, not solid 8pin, and psu side connectors are not seperate, but solid. So something is suspect, somewhere.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
No. Standard has an 8pin pcie drawing upto 150w, a 6pin good for 75w. By converting the 6pin to 8pin, you can potentially draw 150w through a 75w connection. That = fire hazard in a big way.

Also if the psu does not have 2x 6+2pin (8pin) pcie wires (the psu side doesn't count) then common sense dictates the psu is not rated for a gpu output requiring 2x 6+2pin power.

Vendors don't mix colors (that I know of) so either the red or the black connector is the psu side, also pcie are 6+2, not solid 8pin, and psu side connectors are not seperate, but solid. So something is suspect, somewhere.

Solution