Question My PSU is fried?

rtwilliam

Prominent
Oct 21, 2020
So, I'm a bit of a PC building noob, and I'm pretty sure I made a pretty silly mistake. I'm just wanting a little speculation on how big the mistake I made actually is, and what it could reasonably imply.

So I have a stock 500W PSU (SL-8500BTX) that my pre-built computer came with. I upgraded my CPU to an AMD Ryzen 5 3600X and an NVIDIA GTX 1080Ti Founders Edition (from a Ryzen 5 2600 & RTX 2060). What I didn't realize was that my PSU didn't have the appropriate wattage for my new parts, and it resulted in my computer monitors occasionally turning off -- requiring me to restart my computer.

I ordered my new PSU (Corsair 750W 80+ Bronze), and decided I'd just keep playing games on my current PSU until it comes in since it wouldn't be more than a few days.

Well, turns out that was a bad idea. After a long session of video gaming, my computer shut off and won't turn back on, and there was an odd smell coming from the top vent of my computer's case. Not sure how to describe it, but it definitely wasn't a smell I was familiar with. Didn't smell anything close to the PSU, so it could potentially be the motherboard. I'm not sure at all.

Regardless, I need to replace my PSU, so I'm doing that, and I may have to replace my motherboard as well. Is it possible that the other parts in my computer could be potentially damaged? I'm feeling a lot of anxiety about this, and I'm not sure of ways to verify the integrity of my parts.

addendum:

also would take any neat mobo recommendations

Last edited:

rtwilliam

Prominent
Oct 21, 2020
My current motherboard is a A320M-HDV R4.0, and no, I don't overclock (though I may after I get my new PSU in). The size of the board should be similarly sized to this board. Not really sure about features, but I guess the minimum requirements would be the same as the A320M (aside from having more RAM slots -- 4 would be nice).