My psu is making a sound, and almost burn my mobo

gta3boy

Honorable
Nov 9, 2013
I played my computer last night, but before i open it, my psu is making a grinding sound.. I plugged it out and plugged it back in, then the sound was gone..

This morning i tried to power it on again and then made that noise again.. So i decided to clean it because i thought it was just a dust..

But when i plugged it in and press the power button, it still make that noise but this time i saw a spark inside my / mobo... My screen was on and it flashes my mobo but i unpluged it once i saw the spark inside and the it smells like burnt plastic..

Is my power supply the issue?
I dont think my mobo is the problem, i hope its not damaged,cuz of the burning smell :/

Solution
This power supply should never be turned on again and immediately replaced. It's very possible it has damaged the motherboard, especially if it's a low-tier power supply, but you can't tell without a known good PSU.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
This power supply should never be turned on again and immediately replaced. It's very possible it has damaged the motherboard, especially if it's a low-tier power supply, but you can't tell without a known good PSU.

Solution

gta3boy

Honorable
Nov 9, 2013
I dont think the mobo was damage because it was showing its logo on my screen, i just unplugged it quickly.. Im planning to test this mobo to a computer tech and try a different psu, to determin if its fried damaged.. I hopefully not :'(

Its a 600w psu, its not that old...
I hope i only need a new psu not mobo too tss

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

What was the exact model of the old PSU?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

Wow, even in the pit of horrific no-name PSUs, that's a rare one.

I'd only recommend you get something considerably better to minimize this issue in the future. In your case, a power supply-shaped object acted like a power supply-shaped object. I'll cross my fingers that your motherboard is OK!

to the thread starter...that noise you were hearing most time on a power supply is fan failure. if you hear that see if the fan is moving. if it not moving it not cooling your power supply. (hot power supply-boom when caps over heat and fail. ). if you dont have a lot of funds for a power supply look at seasonic s line. the 520/620 units.

gta3boy

Honorable
Nov 9, 2013
I think my psu is no longer usable.. The fan is spinning, just the noise and it made my motherboard spark and smell burnt plastic..
Its sounds like its stuck bearing that made the sound.. I just hope my mobo is fine

Im still looking for the best psu that i can buy...
Maybe a 650w - 700w..

gta3boy

Honorable
Nov 9, 2013
Oh and by the way, i just figured my psu model is a piece of dump, i search for it in google and the model doesnt even exist, its better for me to buy a branded 80+ psu.. -_-

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

What, you're not still trying to use it, are you? Or is this just from before.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $64.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-08-12 12:34 EDT-0400