[SOLVED] My PSU is Making an high frequency noise

micetravelgames

Reputable
Sep 22, 2017
I have a Coolermaster V750 and I've been noticing a high pitch noise (10KHz+). I've thought it was my hearing that was getting lost or like tinnitus (I'm 20). but under inspection with a frequency meter (monitors unplugged from the wall) and my pc turned off + my pc turned on, I've noticed the noise! It's not painful but it's distracting.
With the pc turned off + PSU switch turned off there's a noise at around 18KHz too, but I don't mind that since my hearing limit is right around there.

Also, I have a humm that I think is the PSU too? the only fan running on the system is the PSU fan and the CPU cooler fan

I think its the PSU because I've tested it without any fans turned on + my GPU off the system, also moving the microphone around, near the PSU was where the noise was louder.

Below I have screenshots of the app on my phone + recordings.
The audio was recorded with the microphone next to the back of the PC (also included the photo of the setup of the microphone, taken with my webcam)
The recordings are boosted to 0dB so you can hear it clearly, so the sounds are way too loud.

Setup of the microphone:

Frequency Response graph:

PSU Noise 1:

PSU Noise 2:

Let me know if you need any more info, and thanks for reading!

Solution
Hello again, so the problem with my pc wasn't the PSU! actually, it was my old HDD that did the hum and the high frequencies! who knew hard drives could do that haha.
The drive itself is a Toshiba and is turning 6 years old in May!
I'll send a picture of it if you are curious!

Anyways, thanks for the help!

EmgDRZt.png
This is actually a Tier A PSU which is very good but it's from 2014 so it's an old model.

For how long have you been having this PSU?

The sound is probably high pitched coil whine but I can't be sure. Not much you can do but replace the PSU if it's that that is doing the sound.

micetravelgames

Reputable
Sep 22, 2017
This is actually a Tier A PSU which is very good but it's from 2014 so it's an old model.

For how long have you been having this PSU?

The sound is probably high pitched coil whine but I can't be sure. Not much you can do but replace the PSU if it's that that is doing the sound.

I've got it for 2-3 years now. I'm also not sure when the high pitch started, since I just realized it like last month and was worried it was my hearing

micetravelgames

Reputable
Sep 22, 2017
Hot glue is a bad idea. It's a thermal insulator until it gets too hot, in which case it just melts back into its liquid state.
hmm I see, but it depends of the temperature of the coil... right? do you have any other fix as of now? i was saving money to upgrade my system in the next black Friday but I guess I can pay full price on a PSU

The goop you always see inside PSUs is RTV 11. It's not a thermal insulator (much), is not electrically conductive, non-corrosive and once cured will hold up to temperatures as high as 200°C without losing its shape.

You can find a tube of one part RTV, but it can be expensive: https://www.techsil.co.uk/momentive-tse3941-150ml

Sorry for the UK link. I bought one from Amazon, but I can't find the link right now.

micetravelgames

Reputable
Sep 22, 2017
The goop you always see inside PSUs is RTV 11. It's not a thermal insulator (much), is not electrically conductive, non-corrosive and once cured will hold up to temperatures as high as 200°C without losing its shape.

You can find a tube of one part RTV, but it can be expensive: https://www.techsil.co.uk/momentive-tse3941-150ml

Sorry for the UK link. I bought one from Amazon, but I can't find the link right now.
hmm I see. i don't think its that worth it specially since here its like 50€ lol. I guess I'll have to endure the noise until next black Friday :p
Thanks for the help!

I have a Coolermaster V750 and I've been noticing a high pitch noise (10KHz+). I've thought it was my hearing that was getting lost or like tinnitus (I'm 20). but under inspection with a frequency meter (monitors unplugged from the wall) and my pc turned off + my pc turned on, I've noticed the noise! It's not painful but it's distracting.
With the pc turned off + PSU switch turned off there's a noise at around 18KHz too, but I don't mind that since my hearing limit is right around there.

Also, I have a humm that I think is the PSU too? the only fan running on the system is the PSU fan and the CPU cooler fan

I think its the PSU because I've tested it without any fans turned on + my GPU off the system, also moving the microphone around, near the PSU was where the noise was louder.

Noisy, chippy psu = Trash Can, whenever any psu do that for a long while, its getting ready to die.
I would consider this psu first and if it dies or does not perform correctly in the warrenty timeline, evga will replace it with no drama.
https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-Superno...11642415&sprefix=evga+psu+750w,aps,458&sr=8-2

micetravelgames

Reputable
Sep 22, 2017
Noisy, chippy psu = Trash Can, whenever any psu do that for a long while, its getting ready to die.
I would consider this psu first and if it dies or does not perform correctly in the warrenty timeline, evga will replace it with no drama.
https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-Supernova-Modular-Warranty-220-G5-0750-X1/dp/B07WGQT8CC/ref=sr_1_2?crid=TJ4PC8XCZ4DU&dchild=1&keywords=evga+psu+750w+gold&qid=1611642415&sprefix=evga+psu+750w,aps,458&sr=8-2
do they really? most companies don't have coil whine in the warranty...

micetravelgames

Reputable
Sep 22, 2017
Hello again, so the problem with my pc wasn't the PSU! actually, it was my old HDD that did the hum and the high frequencies! who knew hard drives could do that haha.
The drive itself is a Toshiba and is turning 6 years old in May!
I'll send a picture of it if you are curious!

Anyways, thanks for the help!

EmgDRZt.png

Solution