[SOLVED] My PSU makes a loud click sound everytime I turn on and off my PC

ScreperisLT

Reputable
Feb 12, 2020
So I recently bought a new Power Supply and when I turned it on, I heard a loud click, which got me a little bit nervous. The same sound occurs when I turn off the computer. None of my other power supplies made any clicking noises or other sounds, but this one is different. Also, whenever I disconnect the PSU cord from the PSU, I can still turn on my computer for about 3-5 seconds, which also never happened to me with other power supplies. Should I be worried or is this normal?

PSU : Cooler Master V750 Gold V2
MB : Intel DH61WW
CPU : Intel Core i7-2600
RAM : 4GB x 2 1333Mhz
Case : Deepcool D-Shield V2
HDD : HDWD110 1TB
SSD : MX500 240GB
GPU : ASUS GTX 1050 Ti Expedition

I bought this power supply for future proof, as I am planning to buy a i3-12100F, ASUS TUF B660M Gaming Plus Wi-FI and 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, after that - GPU upgrade.

Last edited:
Solution
I don't have the computer right now with me, so I won't be able to record the sound, but yeah, there is one click when I turn on the computer and when I turn it off. I will only be able to record the sound on sunday, if that's okay.
No problem, take your time, you don't HAVE to do it. If you feel like recording it, do it. One click when starting and one click when shutting down is OK and I would say nothing to worry about. Some PSUs do that when tuning on and off.

Not only LED's turn on, but the fans and other stuff as well, I can hear the HDD spinning along with the CPU and exhaust fan for 3-5 seconds.
That I think is the charge in the bulk caps. I'm not sure I don't think it should be able to run all fans for 3-5...

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Can you record a good quality sound of the click and upload somehwere we might be able to listen to?

That clicking sound is probably the relay. Some PSUs make that sound. If there's one click when it turns on and one click when system goes to sleep or is shut down I think it's OK.

If you mean you unplug the PSU from wall outlet and if buy run you mean LEDs and such turn on for a second that's probably the charge stored in the bulk capacitors.

ScreperisLT

Reputable
Feb 12, 2020
Can you record a good quality sound of the click and upload somehwere we might be able to listen to?

That clicking sound is probably the relay. Some PSUs make that sound. If there's one click when it turns on and one click when system goes to sleep or is shut down I think it's OK.

I don't have the computer right now with me, so I won't be able to record the sound, but yeah, there is one click when I turn on the computer and when I turn it off. I will only be able to record the sound on sunday, if that's okay.

If you mean you unplug the PSU from wall outlet and if buy run you mean LEDs and such turn on for a second that's probably the charge stored in the bulk capacitors.

Not only LED's turn on, but the fans and other stuff as well, I can hear the HDD spinning along with the CPU and exhaust fan for 3-5 seconds.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
No problem, take your time, you don't HAVE to do it. If you feel like recording it, do it. One click when starting and one click when shutting down is OK and I would say nothing to worry about. Some PSUs do that when tuning on and off.

That I think is the charge in the bulk caps. I'm not sure I don't think it should be able to run all fans for 3-5 seconds. The PSU being brand new maybe the bulk caps are just at the peak of their capacity and can manage that.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador

That I think is the charge in the bulk caps. I'm not sure I don't think it should be able to run all fans for 3-5 seconds. The PSU being brand new maybe the bulk caps are just at the peak of their capacity and can manage that.

Solution