Question My psu makes a weird sound

Feb 26, 2019
Hello and sorry if i posted this in the wrong place.

A week ago i built a pc using the psu Seasonic S12II 520W bronze and whenever i play a game (apex legends for example) in ultra high settings i get this sound from it
View: https://youtu.be/op0mcFt7xrg
(u can hear it starting at the 13sec mark.it sounds like clicking a mouse button in my oppinion).

I was wondering if you experienced something similiar and if it's a threath to my pc's health.

Thank you.

Feb 20, 2019
I would highly recommend to not do that again. Im not sure if it has some saftey to keep it from frying a pc. But i have heard horror stories. I would recommend to take it out of your pc and run it alone and looking if it still makes the sound. Because i would be terrified letting that be connected in my pc. And if it continues after that i would suggest you to buy a new one

Feb 26, 2019
It only happens when i run demanding games.other parts that i have are :
1.cpu i5 8400 2.8ghz
2.gpu sapphire nitro+ 8gb (i connected it with both 6 and 8 pins,but i read that if you don't oc it,8 pins are enough)
4.4 120mm fans connected in psu
5.motherboard msi 360 a pro

Feb 26, 2019
Thank you all for the replies.i'll just send it back because it's a week old.Better stay without a pc a couple of days than fry everything in it ^^.
Someone told me that this sound can happen because in a psu there are actually things that vibrate when electricity goes through them and some of these parts were not properly sealed or encased with a specific material that keeps them tightly bound(tried to explain with my own words based on the disscusion i had ^^)and if the sound doesn't bother you,it's ok to keep it.
But in the long run,it's better to replace it,i think.i'm not a psu expert and i don't know what goes down in one.That is what warranty is for in the end.

Last edited: