[SOLVED] my psu powerful enough for new gpu?

Alwilada

Prominent
May 23, 2020
Hello, I am thinking of getting a rx 560 or a rx570 for my pc but i dont know if my psu will deliver enough watts to keep it up
the psu is a Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 400W 85% efficiency
my build is:
Gigabyte B450M DS3H
Ryzen 3 2200g
2x 4GB DDR4 (3000Mhz) RAM sticks (idk what brand probably corsair)
Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 400W
1x 120GB SSD
1x 500GB 7.2K RPM SATA HDD
1x 120mm fan
A poor case.

I tried out one of those wattage calculator websites and i got this result (EXCLUDES THE RX560 OR RX570 INTO CALCULATION):
A load wattage of 191 Watt
A recommended wattage for my psu of 241 watts

Im thinking of either a rx 560 or a rx570, will either of these work if i stick them in my pc with my current PSU or do i have to upgrade to keep my pc from exploding
and if both are possible which one do you recommend best, (dont worry about how much they cost, only performance and power consumption i.e headroom)

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Its a middle of the road PSU. It gets the job. It didn't win awards but it's not a fire waiting to happen either.

As i said, you'll draw about 300w at load, meaning you can run your system hard and still be under 80% usage on the PSU. Overclocking changes things as now the CPU or GPU can draw much more power. I would not overclock without replacing it with a higher capacity quality PSU.

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
Wattage is almost irrelevant for a gaming build, you wouldn't pull more than 400W with any build in games (and i mean any, even i9 9900K + RTX2080Ti). The quality and performance of PSU are way more important, and this PSU isn't good, replace it (it was okay for APU build tho).

Reactions: King_V

Alwilada

Prominent
May 23, 2020
Wattage is almost irrelevant for a gaming build, you wouldn't pull more than 400W with any build in games (and i mean any, even i9 9900K + RTX2080Ti). The quality and performance of PSU are way more important, and this PSU isn't good, replace it (it was okay for APU build tho).
Why whats the disadvantage of using this psu with a rx 570, will it just crash mid game or something like that or is it unreliable, ive never had problems with this psu. By the way are you sure a i9 with a rtx 2080 runs at around 400w wtf ??

Last edited:

Alwilada

Prominent
May 23, 2020
A Rx570 willput the system at around 300w. If you havn't overclocked, it should be workable.
What do you mean with it should be workable? Does this mean i can just run the rx 570 in any game including very hard aslong as i like dont do any artificial stress test that doesnt put the system component usage at 100% or something? I would appreciate it greatly if you would elaborate

and by the way, every one of these rx 570 websites im visiting say something like:
Recommended PSU: 500W
or
Minimal wattage: 450W

is this a concern

EDIT: ive done the psu calculator test with the rx 570 included and i got a load wattage of 313W and a recommended PSU wattage of 363W
Is my current psu even a good and reliable psu or is it some cheap that will do

Last edited by a moderator:

popatim

Titan
Its a middle of the road PSU. It gets the job. It didn't win awards but it's not a fire waiting to happen either.

As i said, you'll draw about 300w at load, meaning you can run your system hard and still be under 80% usage on the PSU. Overclocking changes things as now the CPU or GPU can draw much more power. I would not overclock without replacing it with a higher capacity quality PSU.

Solution

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I wouldn't trust a MasterWatt Lite - the JonnyGuru review for the 600W version concluded:
SUMMARY
Just buy something else.

The GOOD:
  • cheap
  • very good to excellent 12V and 3.3V ripple control
  • cheap
  • near mythic voltage regulation on 5V and 12V, as long as you keep it from crossloading
  • cheap
  • 40 degree temp rating

The BAD:
  • ineffective undervolt protection leading to hardware breaking crossload voltage regulation
  • requires more minimum load than Haswell and newer CPUs need for advanced sleep states
  • out of spec 5V ripple

The MEDIOCRE:
  • third tier capacitors
  • some soldering related issues
  • 3.3V regulation never was very good
  • 230V only
  • not so good fan backed by 3 year warranty except for four countries that get 5 years

Don't mess around with PSUs. Follow the first link in my sig for a guide on how to get something safe and reliable.