My PSU. Will the amperage hurt me?

zachster988

Honorable
Apr 16, 2012
Hello,
I have a cheap 500w PSU. It is an Ark technology "Breeze" PSU. I was wanting to run a Radeon HD 6770 but I dont know how the Amperage on the +12v rail will affect it. My PSU only carries 14A on its rail. Will this matter? if so, how much?

Solution
For a system using a single Radeon HD 6770 graphics card AMD specifies a minimum of a 450 Watt or greater power supply. The power supply should also have a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 25 Amps or greater and have at least one 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Total Continuous Amperage Available on the +12V Rail(s) is the most important factor.

The BREEZE 500W (ARK500/8), with its combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 14 Amps and with no PCI Express supplementary power connectors, is grossly insufficient to power your system...
For a system using a single Radeon HD 6770 graphics card AMD specifies a minimum of a 450 Watt or greater power supply. The power supply should also have a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 25 Amps or greater and have at least one 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Total Continuous Amperage Available on the +12V Rail(s) is the most important factor.

The BREEZE 500W (ARK500/8), with its combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 14 Amps and with no PCI Express supplementary power connectors, is grossly insufficient to power your system configuration with a single Radeon HD 6770.

Solution

zachster988

Honorable
Apr 16, 2012

Yeah, I knew the Wattage wasnt a problem. The amperage I figured would destroy me.

Probably getting a rosewill Green series 630W ATX PSU. It has a single 12v rail with 50A on it.

Some guy on Newegg said you need 40A for the 6770. Just needed a second opinion.