Question My r5-3600 use only 1 thread in most of the games causing big perfomance issue's

Oct 30, 2022
My r5-3600 use only 1 thread in most of the games causing big perfomance issue's(snowrunnrer screen just as example). Is there any way to fix this?
Sys specs: r5-3600, rx6600xt, 32gb 3200 ram, win 11 22h2
2022-10-30-130151.png

The first thing to look at is your GPU. If it's the bottleneck for performance then the game can't load up the CPU heavily on any thread since it's always waiting on the GPU. With an RX6600xt that may be what you're seeing if playing at a high resolution (1440p or especially 4k)

Second is to understand that most games only utilize one single thread/core very heavily and that is the thread pacing CPU performance in the game. This is true of even multithreaded games where the secondary threads will only lightly utilize a processor core and aren't affecting the games pace. The value is still there for multi-core CPU's to improve performance since the OS scheduler can off-load those threads to lightly utilized cores thereby unburdening the core processing the main thread.

To maximize CPU game performance be sure to use the latest BIOS rev and AMD chipset drivers. They have the latest performance fixes that integrates well with Windows' schedulers. Be sure CPPC is enabled in BIOS (it is by default in later rev's) so the OS knows to prefer the strongest core for the main thread. And use PBO to overclock Ryzen.

PBO's generally preferable to all-core overclocks, especially for gaming. Reason is it leaves the processor's boost algorithm active so it can boost clocks higher than the others for the single core that's processing the main thread. The cores processing the secondary threads can work at a lower clock and avoid heating up the CPU so much it is forced to lower clock of the main thread, the one that's really pacing performance in the game.

And further, it works with the OS scheduler as the main thread gets moved between cores for heat leveling. It does this all very fast, up to 100 times a second, so you won't be able to see it very well in most monitoring tools.

Last edited:
Are you gaming at 1440p? At 1080p the 6600xt is a beast, but if at 1440p you may need to turn stuff down a little. I know my 6700xt does well depending on the game, but some newer games like Gotham knights it dials down a few of the settings.

Also what cooler do you have on the cpu? Try turning all overclocking on the cpu off including in ryzen master and enable pbo and let the system run it itself. You may find it does better. My 5900x with enough cooling is happy to boost to 4.3-4.4 ghz all core during cinebench for example and stays there with all cores loaded, but will boost single core higher at times.

Oct 30, 2022
Also I've turned CPPC from auto to enabled, and in some games it's actually working(for example AC:eek:rigins(had around 60fps, now around 100fps)) but snowrunner still run's as sht. Anyway thanks for advice

TRENDING THREADS