My Raid 0 Drives are on Secondary IDE Channel

jeff

Hi Everyone,

I have a CD/DVD burner that crashes Win XP every time I use it. Crashes bad,
Blue screen and then nothing.

Looking around, I've discovered that I've got my primary drives configured
in raid 0 on the secondary channel. The dvd burner is also in the secondary
channel.

I've got a third small hard drive on the Primary Channel.

Question: Does it matter where I put the Raid 0 drives? They are serial ATA
so they simply connect to the MB via their cables. Should they be on the
Primary Channel? If so, how do I get them there??

I'm wondering if my dvd burner and raid drives being on the same channel are
causing a problem.

I think, I can swap where the small hard drive and DVD connect on the MB to
move the DVD onto the Primary drive if it will help.

Any advice here would be great. I put the parts together and it works
(mostly) but I don't understand why.

Thanks

John

I have no experience with serial ATA drives but every motherboard I've ever
had with Raid has separate connectors for the Raid drive. In other words,
there's a socket for IDE 0 and a socket for IDE 1, the primary and secondary
controllers. The Raid sockets are separate. When you look at the
motherboard, it looks like there are four IDE sockets. Alas, you don't
mention your motherboard brand and model. You should look carefully at your
motherboard instruction manual.