my ram is using so much memory its nuts

kevin1111nov

Reputable
Sep 5, 2015
i have 16gb of ram and when im browsing on chrome for exsample its using 9,1 gb of ram.... thats insane and when im doing nothing its maybe at 8gb or so
E8LOCSm.jpg

ebZ9TyH.jpg

here are some screen shots above

So you want your memory to never be used? Do not turn on your computer, and it will be empty, and you can stare at it while it is empty all day and night, smiling, but wishing you could use it.

Memory is there to be used. Use it. Even with 9GB used, you still have 7GB available. I will bet you have never exceeded 12GB used total. Which means that you have NEVER used at least 4GB of the memory that you bought.

kevin1111nov

Reputable
Sep 5, 2015

so its normal then ?

you mean to tell us that 9GB of RAM sue is normal while sitting at a desktop? that is not normal at all, I use about 400MB sitting at the desktop.

It is higher than mine. I have 4.6GB used out of 16GB right now. But how much is used is determined by what you have loaded into memory. I have seen my memory use at 9GB before, so I just do not worry about it. I have never seen my memory usage exceed 9GB.

Chrome opens a new process for each tab. It does that to protect each tab from the problems of all other tabs. And depending on how many other Google things you use, it will just keep adding processes for them. Google Drive, Google Plus, and so on...

Open Task Manager up and look at either the Process or Details tabs, and click on the Memory column header. That will bring the highest memory using items to the top... Then you can see exactly what is using your memory.

kevin1111nov

Reputable
Sep 5, 2015

no mark before editing i rebooted it and it was still sitting on 8gb