Question My RAM only works on one RAM slot. Tested on multiple motherboards

Oct 8, 2021
This is going to be kind of a lengthy one but it all started when I got a corsair H100i Pro cpu cooler. I installed it put everything back together and went to boot my pc and nothing displayed and the EZ Debug LED on my motherboard (MSI Z490 Gaming Plus) was cycling between the cpu light and RAM light. I have had this happen in the past and just re installing the ram fixed it so
I tried that but same thing. So next I took the CPU cooler off and re installed it but same thing. Next I tried one RAM stick in each slot. I first got it to boot in the 1st slot on the left, so then I tried the second slot and it booted, then tried the 3rd slot and it wouldn't boot. Next I tried the other stick on the second slot and it booted fine so I kind of ruled out the ram being bad. I then tried booting it with both sticks in the normal spots and it wouldn't boot again, I restarted it and wiggled the 4th slot stick while it was booting and it started up with 2 sticks. Went into the BIOS and it recognized both sticks but only said I had 8gb of memory, along with task manager. Then I figured that ram slot on my motherboard was bad so I bought another motherboard which was the exact same one, installed everything put the ram in and got the exact same thing I can only get the ram to boot with a single stick in either of the first 3 slots, both sticks will work individually but not together on a brand new motherboard. So is it the RAM? (T-FORCE Delta 3200mhz)

This is going to be kind of a lengthy one but it all started when I got a corsair H100i Pro cpu cooler. I installed it put everything back together and went to boot my pc and nothing displayed and the EZ Debug LED on my motherboard (MSI Z490 Gaming Plus) was cycling between the cpu light and RAM light. I have had this happen in the past and just re installing the ram fixed it so
I tried that but same thing. So next I took the CPU cooler off and re installed it but same thing. Next I tried one RAM stick in each slot. I first got it to boot in the 1st slot on the left, so then I tried the second slot and it booted, then tried the 3rd slot and it wouldn't boot. Next I tried the other stick on the second slot and it booted fine so I kind of ruled out the ram being bad. I then tried booting it with both sticks in the normal spots and it wouldn't boot again, I restarted it and wiggled the 4th slot stick while it was booting and it started up with 2 sticks. Went into the BIOS and it recognized both sticks but only said I had 8gb of memory, along with task manager. Then I figured that ram slot on my motherboard was bad so I bought another motherboard which was the exact same one, installed everything put the ram in and got the exact same thing I can only get the ram to boot with a single stick in either of the first 3 slots, both sticks will work individually but not together on a brand new motherboard. So is it the RAM? (T-FORCE Delta 3200mhz)
tried to clean the ram contacts and the ram slot with blower? also tried to update the bios to the latest and load optimized settings?

Oct 8, 2021
tried to clean the ram contacts and the ram slot with blower? also tried to update the bios to the latest and load optimized settings?
Yes on the original motherboard I blew my whole computer out and inside the slots with my compressed air cans, never changed anything. And as for the BIOS I don't see how that could help as my computer worked perfectly fine before I took it apart.

Yes on the original motherboard I blew my whole computer out and inside the slots with my compressed air cans, never changed anything. And as for the BIOS I don't see how that could help as my computer worked perfectly fine before I took it apart.
same problem as my friend, everythings normal before took apart, i adviced him to boot with only 1 working ram, update the bios, load defaults, downclock the ram clock, and save and exit, put all 4 dimms, it worked, and bumping it up to the original speed on all dimms, worked till now.. YMMV

Oct 8, 2021
same problem as my friend, everythings normal before took apart, i adviced him to boot with only 1 working ram, update the bios, load defaults, downclock the ram clock, and save and exit, put all 4 dimms, it worked, and bumping it up to the original speed on all dimms, worked till now.. YMMV
I guess I could try it, there is a new BIOS update available for this board

Reactions: Koekieezz

steveb1976

Reputable
Oct 4, 2020
have you tried to run 2 memory sticks together in dimm 1 and dimm 2 (A1+A2), i have similar issues with my asrock b450m motherboard. i can only run 2 sticks and in single channel.