Aug 19, 2019
Computer specs:

MSI B350M Mortar Arctic M-atx mobo

AMD Ryzen 5 2600 w/ Wraith Prism RGB Cooler

ASUS ROG STRIX RX-580 8GB OC

T-Force Delta 16GB RGB 3200Mhz RAM

Thermaltake SMART RGB 600W PSU

My problem:

After i had put my computer togother with my new mobo ram and cpu, (I done clean install windows and formatted my SSD and all drivers are installed) I noticed in my task manager that my ram was running at 2400mhz (1200mhz per stick) when its advertised speed it 3200mhz. I went into my bios settings and changed the XMP Profile to profile 2 (3200mhz) (profile 1 was 2999mhz) and I save settings and reboot. My pc turns on for like 3 seconds then turns off, then it turns back on and my monitor, mouse and keyboard wont work for around 5 minutes. The first screen i get on my monitor is the black windows screen with the the loading circle with dots, then it changes to the blue windows loading screen, it eventually loads windows but then when i go and check Task manager it says it still running at 2400mhz (1200mhz per stick) I checked on cpu-z and it still says the same on Task Manager. When i go back into my bios settings it says the ram is running at 3200mhz in the bios but its not running at that speed on windows (its runnings at 2400mhz on windows). What i think is happening, is when i save my settings in the bios and reboot, something goes wrong with my computer and it cant run the ram at full speed and ends up reverting the settings back to the default setting (2400mhz or 1200mhz per stick). I have also tried settings the rams timing and everything manually and i get the same problem, same with the 'Memory try it" setting in my bios i tried using a few of the pre-set options and timing settings but the same thing still happens to my computer. I have tried clearing cmos battery many times and nothing seems to fix it. I tried changing the rams speed in AMD Ryzen Master application but the same thing still happens to my computer, it will turn on for a few seconds then turn off then turn back on but none of the settings i applied previously had saved. I need some help please not sure if my ram is faulty because it still works fine i just cant change the frequency of it.

Hi leoj17.

A Ryzen 2600 should be able to support RAM at 3200MHz but only if the RAM is in the good RAM slot on the board. It could be a BIOS update you don't have with a "Memory compatibility" in it. It could also be the RAM that you have. I would recommend you try to run the RAM at 2933MHz and see if it stick.

When you activate the 2933MHz XMP profile in the BIOS the system will do a memory training. Meaning that the system will reboot a few time to test the profile. Try 2933MHz.

Make sure the RAM follow this picture below. If you have 2 sticks you put them in DIMMA2 and DIMMB2.

Can you please tell me what is your BIOS version right now?

View: https://imgur.com/a/yz142SG

leoj17

Prominent
Aug 19, 2019
Hi leoj17.

A Ryzen 2600 should be able to support RAM at 3200MHz but only if the RAM is in the good RAM slot on the board. It could be a BIOS update you don't have with a "Memory compatibility" in it. It could also be the RAM that you have. I would recommend you try to run the RAM at 2933MHz and see if it stick.

When you activate the 2933MHz XMP profile in the BIOS the system will do a memory training. Meaning that the system will reboot a few time to test the profile. Try 2933MHz.

Make sure the RAM follow this picture below. If you have 2 sticks you put them in DIMMA2 and DIMMB2.

Can you please tell me what is your BIOS version right now?

View: https://imgur.com/a/yz142SG
Hello thanks for the reply, i have my ram in the 2nd and 4th slot. In system information it's telling me that my BIOS version is 23/06/20, the BIOS file i used to update is called 7A37vAKS. I will try and get a screenshot of my BIOS settings, I am also thinking that if i cannot fix this problem im gonna go take the ram back and swap it for a 16gb ram kit of Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200mhz because i know that is reliable ram. I will try the 2933Mhz XMP profile and tell you how i go

Hello thanks for the reply, i have my ram in the 2nd and 4th slot. In system information it's telling me that my BIOS version is 23/06/20, the BIOS file i used to update is called 7A37vAKS. I will try and get a screenshot of my BIOS settings, I am also thinking that if i cannot fix this problem im gonna go take the ram back and swap it for a 16gb ram kit of Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200mhz because i know that is reliable ram. I will try the 2933Mhz XMP profile and tell you how i go

Yeah the Vengeance LPX are pretty good. Built a few 2600 with those and never had any issue at 3200MHz.

Let me know if it stick at 2933MHz. It should work. That's your CPU guarantee to work memory speed.

leoj17

Prominent
Aug 19, 2019
I just tried setting it at 2933MHz and booted into windows but checked CPU-Z and it still says running at 1200mhz per stick, and says it's running at 2400mhz in task manager. I read a thread before and it recommended trying to use 1 stick of ram and try apply the xmp profile to it and see if it works right. This is a screenshot of the overclock tab in my BIOS settings: https://ibb.co/S3f9yMn

TRENDING THREADS