Question my ram speed is much slower than it should be

Dec 24, 2019
I have DDR4 Ram, on the box it says 3000MHz speed, i have 2 of these in my motherboard, and yet in certain apps such as task manager it shows 2100MHz, but if i check bios it shows 3000, im extremely confused

Most DRAM has base speeds far lower than what the maximum it CAN attain. But that "CAN attain" speed depends on 3 things: your motherboard, your processor, and your DRAM. While The DRAM may be able to attain those advertised speeds it's far from certain that it WILL attain those advertised speeds. And you need to know how to set it up in the BIOS to run at the maximum attainable, whatever that turns out to be.

So do some digging until you get a good grasp of the overall setup requirements and then start trying different settings to see how high you can get it.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Base speeds for DDR4 Ram is 2133MHz. That applies for all DDR4 no matter what it's rated speed. Rated speed is different, the ram is binned according to what it can attain at the factory, in your case thats 3000MHz. So on install your ram will read 2133MHz (1067MHz in task manager and cpu-z as that's data rate, not dual data rate reading). It'll be on you to go into Bios and set speeds or enable XMP (DOCP, EOCP are other names used) which is an eXtreme Memory Profile.

XMP contains all the data/settings/timings to raise the 2133MHz to 3000MHz. Once booted and saved at that setting, that's what the setting is, software is not designed to change bios settings, other than certain motherboard software such as specific uses in Asus Suite, Msi Control Center etc. 3rd party software can only read settings, not change it.

So whatever is set in bios is what your ram is running at, regardless of whatever else you might read in outside software.

TRENDING THREADS