My RAM wont run at the rated speed =(

tauro91

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
Hello, Im running G.SKILL PI Series 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) with Intel Core i7 930 on a ASUS P6X58D Premium Motherboard, However I checked through the Bios and CPU-Z and they show the RAM running at much much lower speeds, on the bios it says something about: "If Locked" can only run at "certain speeds which i forgot, i think it was 533mhz and 800mhz, something like that...
I know I can get my RAM working at the rated speeds somehow, Can I plz get a quick tutorial? or help "/ I have only tried setting the ram to DDR3 - 1600 but still nothing -.- "/

Well, if it's rated at 1600MHz, and you want to get to that speed, you need to overclock and/or increase your BCLK : DRAM ratio. At stock, I believe it is 2:8 or 8x, and thus you'd need your CPU BCLK (base clock) at 200MHz, which will get your i7 930 to 3.6 w/o Turbo, 3.86 max w/Turbo. If you want to have 1600MHz at stock CPU speeds, then you'd need a ratio of 2:12 or 12x.

Please remember that the Uncore needs to be 2X the memory Multi, and adjust accordingly. i.e. - Set your memory multi at 8x, then the Uncore needs to be 16X. There's little to no benefit to be had by raising the QPI link, so the best practice is to leave that alone.

As pointed out, if you've overclocked by raising the base clock, certain combinations may not be available. If that's the case, please tell us what the bclk is set to and we'll see about getting you as close as we can.