[SOLVED] My RAM won't work with new motherboard

Victel

Honorable
Oct 31, 2016
I just purchased the gigabyte z590 extreme waterforce and I'm only able to start the computer when I install one of my HyperX Fury 3200MHZ ddr4 cl16 dimm kit of 4 - 64 gb kit, it gets caught in a boot loop. I've tried swapping out different combinations the ram chip placed in the far right slot(doesn't matter which one, they all work.) will allow me to start as does one in the second and fourth slot as well but it will only read one. My motherboard is the latest version of BIOS. 11900k CPU if that matters. Thanks for the help.

My ram:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WJJHMP5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

My motherboard:

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z590-AORUS-XTREME-WATERFORCE-rev-10/support#support-dl

Solution
When I do that my PC starts but it doesn't recognize the other stick of RAM. All my ram sticks appear to work.

My appologies, went check on the part number on my kit and it's different from yours. Yours contains micron chips.
However i did check the amazon listing you posted, your kit should be HX432C16FB3K4/64 ( according to that amazon listing anyways).
HX432C16FB3K4/64 is on the support list for z590 aorus xtreme. Moreover support list states 4 modules are supported for this model of ram (16-18-18-36 1.35v ) including XMP support.

Since you have not been able to get more than one stick working at a time, there are 2 other possibilties. Memory errors and instabilities of this kind are often signs of a dying power...

Bazzy 505

Respectable
Jul 17, 2021
I have the same Hynix memory chips KHX3600C18D4/16GX ( just higher 3600 grade) in Gigabyte Z590 motherboard you may want to update bios to version F4, it includes some patches related to 11900K

Bazzy 505

Respectable
Jul 17, 2021
Try with just two sticks at the a time slot2 and slot 4 first with 2 sticks. Try it, if it won't give, try a different stick from the set, swappinbg one at a time. Maybe you have a dud in your set. Disable XMP, while doing it.

Victel

Honorable
Oct 31, 2016
Try with just two sticks at the a time slot2 and slot 4 first with 2 sticks. Try it, if it won't give, try a different stick from the set, swappinbg one at a time. Maybe you have a dud in your set. Disable XMP, while doing it.

When I do that my PC starts but it doesn't recognize the other stick of RAM. All my ram sticks appear to work.

Bazzy 505

Respectable
Jul 17, 2021

My appologies, went check on the part number on my kit and it's different from yours. Yours contains micron chips.
However i did check the amazon listing you posted, your kit should be HX432C16FB3K4/64 ( according to that amazon listing anyways).
HX432C16FB3K4/64 is on the support list for z590 aorus xtreme. Moreover support list states 4 modules are supported for this model of ram (16-18-18-36 1.35v ) including XMP support.

Since you have not been able to get more than one stick working at a time, there are 2 other possibilties. Memory errors and instabilities of this kind are often signs of a dying power supply. What model and make is your PSU ? Is it new or you harvested it from previous build ? Do you have both EPS connectors plugged in ?

Last posibility would have been a faulty motherboard, but that very rarely happens these days.

Solution

Victel

Honorable
Oct 31, 2016

Since you have not been able to get more than one stick working at a time, there are 2 other possibilties. Memory errors and instabilities of this kind are often signs of a dying power supply. What model and make is your PSU ? Is it new or you harvested it from previous build ? Do you have both EPS connectors plugged in ?

Last posibility would have been a faulty motherboard, but that very rarely happens these days.

Corsair 1500i. I'm guessing you're going to recommend I do a self test on it? I want to also note a possible coincidence. Before I changed motherboards my old one was giving me problems. It was stuck in a boot loop and had the DRAM light on. Same ram, same PSU. When I would disconnect the Corsair m.2 the problem would stop and the pc would start up. I replaced the m.2 and had another one shipped thinking it was the problem. The new one didn't work either. I purchased a new motherboard and here I am. Old motherboard was a z490 MSI unify.

Bazzy 505

Respectable
Jul 17, 2021
Since the problem apparently persists accross two systems , exhibiting same sympthoms and both sharing the same PSU, RAM and CPU. It narrows it down a little.
PSU self test predictably would be the first step down the road, do it with all cables on the secondary side disconnected.

If it passes, the second step would be to make sure you have effective ground on the grounding pin, don't have both grounded and ungrounded appliances on the same circuit, and last but not least don't use extension cords with dummy ground ( meaning the hole's there but there's only two wires connected in the socket instead of 3). Missing ground can be source of lot of interference and parasitic currents. If you are not sure about how to go about this part, i'd suggest calling an electrician.

Now i do understand this can be an expensive affair, so there are few other things you may want to try first.

Since any RAM of the kit will work and test OK on its own, i'm keen to believe there's nothing worng wrong with the kit. Combined with the M.2 issues i would try following

Your motherboard has probing points just above DDR4 sockets, which you can use to measure voltages. It looks like two tiny rows of golden dots. It is detailed on page 26 in the motherboard manual. Install one stick and take measurement of VDDR voltage on probing point with multimeter , you should get 1.2V. power down system install second stick power on the system with 2 sticks and take another reading, the voltage should remain the same. Repeat the process measuring till you have all 4 sticks installed. XMP should be disabled in the course of this process.

In regard to M2 disk, you have 3 slots you can install it in. Top and bottom slots connect are wired to southbridge (chipset) one in the middle connects to CPU. Swap it to a different slot
If you had it connected to one of the SB M2 slots, connect it to CPU M2 slot and vice versa.

Now there's an off chance your CPU looks like this

286578_IMG_0443.thumb.JPG.205ca8f934b8e4d3952b262b2c39ef87.jpg

It can happen when incorrect pressure is applied in installation or if you accidentially drop the CPU. Inspect both CPU with a ruler and while you're at it you just well may inspect socket with magnifying glass for bent pins. Memory controller is part of CPU itself.

Last edited:

Victel

Honorable
Oct 31, 2016
Since the problem apparently persists accross two systems , exhibiting same sympthoms and both sharing the same PSU, RAM and CPU. It narrows it down a little.
PSU self test predictably would be the first step down the road, do it with all cables on the secondary side disconnected.

If it passes, the second step would be to make sure you have effective ground on the grounding pin, don't have both grounded and ungrounded appliances on the same circuit, and last but not least don't use extension cords with dummy ground ( meaning the hole's there but there's only two wires connected in the socket instead of 3). Missing ground can be source of lot of interference and parasitic currents. If you are not sure about how to go about this part, i'd suggest calling an electrician.

Now i do understand this can be an expensive affair, so there are few other things you may want to try first.

Since any RAM of the kit will work and test OK on its own, i'm keen to believe there's nothing worng wrong with the kit. Combined with the M.2 issues i would try following

Your motherboard has probing points just above DDR4 sockets, which you can use to measure voltages. It looks like two tiny rows of golden dots. It is detailed on page 26 in the motherboard manual. Install one stick and take measurement of VDDR voltage on probing point with multimeter , you should get 1.2V. power down system install second stick power on the system with 2 sticks and take another reading, the voltage should remain the same. Repeat the process measuring till you have all 4 sticks installed. XMP should be disabled in the course of this process.

In regard to M2 disk, you have 3 slots you can install it in. Top and bottom slots connect are wired to southbridge (chipset) one in the middle connects to CPU. Swap it to a different slot
If you had it connected to one of the SB M2 slots, connect it to CPU M2 slot and vice versa.

Now there's an off chance your CPU looks like this

286578_IMG_0443.thumb.JPG.205ca8f934b8e4d3952b262b2c39ef87.jpg

It can happen when incorrect pressure is applied in installation or if you accidentially drop the CPU. Inspect both CPU with a ruler and while you're at it you just well may inspect socket with magnifying glass for bent pins. Memory controller is part of CPU itself.

I want to first note that your response is informed and brilliant.

I retested all the ram one by one they're still good, unplugged the sata power cable from the PSU (that didn't appear to be providing power to my hard drives, they weren't reading as connected so maybe that was the problem. I redirected all the PSU cords onto one level (I think that's what you meant in above post.) I then re-plugged in everything. The PC started with all 4 ram and so far they appear to be working and reading just fine. I've had it where they read fine and work until later. It restarted good so far.