My relatively new HP laptop CPU keeps running at 60-80 C at idle and the GPU at 60 C without any programs running. Any reasons as to why?

Seaweed Monster

Honorable
Jun 7, 2014
That is high for idle and light workloads. Have you looked to see whether your system cooling policy is set to 'Active', instead of 'Passive' via Windows Power Options? - Control Panel > Change plan settings > Change advanced power settings > Processor power management (Expand) > System cooling policy (Expand)

Also, you may want to check whether the GPU is always enabled, you should have some sort of pre-installed HP control centre software where you can control this. Usually, in lightwork loads, the system will use the Intel HD graphics instead of the GPU, while in high graphical tasks, the system will utilise the dedicated GPU (MX250) instead.

Sep 3, 2020
That is high for idle and light workloads. Have you looked to see whether your system cooling policy is set to 'Active', instead of 'Passive' via Windows Power Options? - Control Panel > Change plan settings > Change advanced power settings > Processor power management (Expand) > System cooling policy (Expand)

Also, you may want to check whether the GPU is always enabled, you should have some sort of pre-installed HP control centre software where you can control this. Usually, in lightwork loads, the system will use the Intel HD graphics instead of the GPU, while in high graphical tasks, the system will utilise the dedicated GPU (MX250) instead.
I have checked the system's cooling policy, and it is set to 'active'. I also changed cooling settings through HP's own applications to prioritise cooling, but nothing has helped so far.

TRENDING THREADS